We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

I was wondering which beaches to visit in or near Nice? I was also wondering what the best beaches are between stretching between Monaco and Saint-Tropez?

thank you in advance. appreciate your help.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

The best beaches near Nice are probably in Cannes, which has white sand. Antibes also.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

We are based in Cannes when we travel, and I agree with Catullus that if "beach" was what you want for my trip, Cannes would be my choice. Besides the sandy beach, I think Cannes is the best location for ocean view dining.

That said, also look towards Antibes/Juan les Pins, Villefranche sur Mer, and Beaulieu sur Mer/Cap Ferrat. Nice's beach is "stoney," but don't miss it. The sound of the currents passing over the stones is lovely and something I don't know that I've experienced anywhere else.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

Add sandy Juan les Pins to above. In terms of stunning scenery 'best' is Villefranche altho' the beach itself is smallish. The tiny and equally stunning Garoupe Beach on the Cap d'Antibes has to be included if you are literary and have read F Scott Fitzgerald's 'Tender is the Night'. And of course if its famous pebbles ( which are protected for conservation reasons) come into your definition we would have to include Nice itself as among the best, especially for the unique colour of the sea in Nice.

One bonus about beaches here - sandy or pebbly - the tide doesn't go out.

Ed.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 07:32
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,528 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

Plage de la Garoupe...as always, Ed has got it right.

Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

Hi,

If I would stay one day in Nice private beach area, which one to choose? I’m not much of a swimmer, but would like to dip into the Mediterranean Sea. Is Beau Rivage good, I’ve tried to read about the Nice beach area, but could not figure out which one to try. And also are they so crowded that I should book beforehand, if going before 10 am. We (2 person) will be in Nice 28.7.-1.8.

Thanks!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

Here is an interesting website that might help you sort through the info that could be a bit overwhelming at this point:

riviera-beaches.com/index.html#.Ue2EPtL1ef8

This is, admittedly, one writer's perception and "your guide to all the beaches of the French Riviera" may be a stretch, but as you weigh your options, the maps, especially, and the public/private lists might help you get oriented. To get a broader picture of what you might expect, move the maps around and follow the links for additional info.

Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

Thank you, list is great. I will have a good look at it and surely will find my spot. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
240 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

In Cannes / Nice / Antibes, does one have to pay to get on the beach or only if renting chairs? I would like to dip my toes in the water or take a few pictures on the beach, but don't plan on spending more than about 10 mins on the beach.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

Except for the private areas along the beach in Nice, the rest is free. There are free beaches in Cannes as well.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the Best Beaches in or near Nice, France?

All beaches in Antibes are public and free.

Ed