We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from NIce to French Alps

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from NIce to French Alps

I and my husband will be there in Nice, France for 5 days in October (Oct 10th -Oct 14th).

We would like to do a day trip to French Alps from Nice. We don’t mind even if it a longer day trip.

What are the best travel options? Any suggestions on what places to visit in the Alps, best places to shop, things/ activities to do when we are there?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

The French Alps is a very large area which runs from the Swiss border on lake Geneva down to the Mediterranean. The easiest solution from Nice would be to rent a car and drive, but the road is slow & winding. The higher alps are much further north & are too far for a day trip. Other solutions could be "Le Train des Merveilles" & "Le Train des Pignes" which go through mountain scenery, but watch timetables carefully as they are very infrequent.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,683 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

I would take the Train des Merveilles which runs every morning - most with a tourist commentary in English -to Tende which is a very pretty Alpine village. Journey is 1 and 3/4 hours. October should give lovely autumn tree colours as you ascend. You will bypass uniquely picturesque villages such as Peille, peillon and Saorge.

Ed

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

+1 for Train des Merveilles

the other option is a drive to Valberg and the Gorges du Verdun longer or shorter as required

I have posted a possible route so hit my profile and look up my post of 25/4/2012

long day but it works

Level Contributor
81 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

Does that train run in October?

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

In October , the train de Merveilles runs just at weekends

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,683 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

The train runs all year ( the 9.24 am Train des Merveilles is primarily aimed at tourists but the commentary is not guaranteed every day). The service is relied on by inhabitants of remote villages.

The number of direct trains to and from Nice is limited but you can also travel from Nice via Ventimiglia to Tende as well (or back) using the Italian trains*.

* NB this does not work with the Carte Zou 15 euro day tourist pass - up to end September 30. You can only use the French trains. In October you will be paying full fare ( around 24 euro ) and can use any train.

Ed

Edited: 12 August 2013, 10:17
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

Thanks Ed ...you are right, it does run all year---- it's the trains with commentary that are just at weekends in October

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

Thank you for your suggestions, appreciate it. Please let me know if I need to book train tickets in advance? If so what the website link???

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

you don't need to book in advance

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from NIce to French Alps

Can I use my French Rail pass on either of these trains?