We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B T
London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

I am planning to come over to Nice for 7 days in first or second week of September. Not entirely sure which area I should be staying in. Getting good deal in saint-laurent-du-var area but not sure if that will be the best place to explore nice and surrounding area. Also if anyone have suggested itinerary to explore south france for 7 days it would be much appreciated. Its me and my partner who are planning to visit and thinking of staying in Nice for 7 days and explore surrounding area on transport/hire car if required.

thanks

Thakks

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

The Promenade des Anglais is a long boulevard running from near the airport to the old port. Where along the Promenade are you interested in? Nice would be a better location because of the excellent public transport links.

If you do a search on the Nice forum you will get many suggestions about what to do in the Nice region, which is interesting and beautiful.

B T
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

I am more incline to stay in saint laurent du var area. us that better place? well connected to othet area of nice and bus stop for surroinding area?

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

you will be putting yourself away from the action

Nice is quite compact so if you stay in Nice you can walk to most of the attractions

there is nothing special about St Laurent other than the noise from the planes landing

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

You should have no problem accessing buses and trains both locally into the centre of Nice and throughout the whole Cote d'Azur. St L du V has a busy train station and 2 to 3 trains an hour . It is a 'lived in' suburb of Nice in fact but would not rate on the fashionability scale- if that matters - but personally I would have no problem in staying there.

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

The local commuter train service runs along the coast and links all the French towns between Mandelieu la Napoule and Menton.

If you plan do explore the Riviera using public transport, IMO the important thing is to find somewhere to stay that is close(walking distance) to a railway station, and preferably with good bus links too, so St Laurent du Var could work .

However, if you prefer a good selection of night life/ amenities on hand in the evening, it might be better to base yourselves in a larger town that offers these.

Stay away from the airport (west) end of the Promenade des Anglais if you want to be able to walk to the centre of Nice at night and prefer not to experience similar aircraft noise to St Laurent.

Apart from the centre of Nice, Antibes, Cannes,perhaps Villefrenche could be other options, but it depends what you want from your base, your budgetary restrictions, perhaps you have a good deal on a particular hotel chain, etc.

>>Also if anyone have suggested itinerary to explore south france for 7 days it would be much appreciated<<

There are so many possibilities. Could you expand on your interests?

Browsing a guide book will point you in the right direction or a search of these forums will help to generate ideas

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

I don't see any logical reason to stay in St Laurent du Var over Nice. Why are you leaning towards SLV?

B T
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

Getting deal for around £338 for 7night in slv in four star while same cost around 500 in city. We would personally like to explore scenic, nature, landmarks and village. Not much into museum.

Thanks for all your opinions, much appreciated.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 17:28
B T
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

So guys, staying in SLV is not a bad idea if i get connection to bus for surrounding area in nice.

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

imho a mistake

B T
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: saint-laurent-du-var OR Promenade des Anglais

We are not much in to night life and having a based in nice to explore the surrounding area. Isnt that commutable from SLV to sorrounding places through BUS. All we will be going to hotel is sleep