We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
181 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

We rented a car in August 2013. The overall experience was fine, but we have to report that the Nice airport office is extremely problematic. When we got in we saw more than 100 people/clients in front of us approaching Hertz desks. Some personnel told us the line"usually" lasts up to 4 hours, we couldn't believe it. Being Hertz gold clients, we could skip part of the queue and go straight to claim the car, for which I already checked in. But Hertz personnel instead of giving me the keys quickly, as usually done in other Hertz offices (as everything was set and ready), started proposing me different cars (more expensive of course) for the rental period. This "commercial/selling activity" lasted more than 20 minutes, even if I just wanted to have my car. I noticed each desk was doing the same with every client. The line got longer and longer. How can you "SELL" (instead of just executing the delivery) with such a long line of people waiting, taking enormous time for delivering car keys instead of speeding things up? People go on holidays and the last thing they want to do is lose hours to pick up a rented car with Hertz. Again, the local personnel told us that this long line (and related commercial activity) is the norm in the Nice airport office. Watch out.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

This must have been some kind of statement against a requirement from the management to sell upgrades? I would guess the personnel demonstrates this way how difficult add-on sales would be in practice in the peak season...

This could explain? I guess this kind of behavior is typical in "Latin" cultural context?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

Not the first time huge lines for car rentals have been reported at the airport. Taking a bus down the Promenade des Anglais to where all the rental agencies are located beside the Meridien hotel seems the smart move to make!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

Long lines are pretty standard at the NCE airport and the issue isn't exclusive to Hertz.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

Wow! I'm shocked. What time of day did you arrive in Nice?? I only ask because the last three years, we've been renting cars exclusively from Hertz...and each time we arrived, the Hertz line was non-existent. Wow!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

We picked up our hire car from Hertz on Saturday. We too are Gold Club members (thank goodness) and when we got to the queue there was about 4 people in front of us and one at each desk. One client was still there when we got our keys (so 3/4hr plus) and was arguing about which car he wanted (as well as his wife arguing with him). As this was taking so long one of the personnel approached us, asked our name, gave us the key and rental papers (and didn't really check licences TBH) and off we went. The main queue was out of the door so thank goodness for Gold Club membership.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

Unless you have priority status, or rent the car on arrival and pay the rack rate, ridiculously long queues are pretty standard at Nice airport for all the car rental agencies ... during high season.

Jarona- As you have found at other times of the year, it can be a different story.

The OP was reporting that Hertz was actively creating long waits for its priority status renters by trying to sell add -ons , which is uncommon and most probably the result of an ill- conceived remote management directive.

EllieMcC11's experience of expediting pickup for priority status customers is more usual.

Unfortunately, this intiative is not extended to the masses who are left to languish in extremely long queues clutching their pre-paid car rental vouchers

North Wales
Level Contributor
754 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

FYI: This year I rented through Autoeurope (as an agency), but the car was provided by France cars. Their office and rental compound is at the St Laurent du Var end of the Promenade des Anglais. It worked brilliantly for me since I was staying at the nearby Holiday Inn Resort at the start and end of our holiday. There was no queue at all (even on Saturdays in peak season) and they carried out the most thorough check of the car before I took it out, that I have ever experienced- making a note of every single scratch. They also provide a shuttle service to and from the airport for pick-up and drop off.

8. Re: Hertz rental at Nice airport? Watch out!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 07:17