We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TVG to Paris

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
87 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
TVG to Paris

My husband and I will be traveling from Nice to Paris on the TVG (in Sept, a Monday @ 7:30 am). I have read the comments about the food and would like to bring a lunch with us. I've looked at various websites and I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of food shops/restaurants are available at the train station and if any will be open so early. Thank you.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from US$103.20*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from US$131.80*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TVG to Paris

There's nothing open at the Nice train station until 7:30, so you won't be able to buy any lunch provisions there:

gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/…

But you'll be in Paris by lunchtime, anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TVG to Paris

Yes, you'll be in Paris at 1:30.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TVG to Paris

definitely take food and drink with you, even if you are not intending to eat en route.

Over the years , I have been on a lot of substantially delayed trains here and in the UK [weather, suicides, idiots who crash into level crossings, people who have stripped wire ] and each time I have appreciated being able to whip out a snack and drink while the rest of the passengers turn into the Donner party after the buffet car [if it exists] has been left bare.

If there is a significant delay en route , SNCF will produce a weird box containing what amounts of emergency rations - weirdly containing shortbread , a bottle of water and a variety of stuff that has a long shelf life but is fairly inedible.

You will appreciate your own stuff in such an eventuality.

where in NIce are you staying? Boulangeries are open early and may well already have sandwiches prepared

In a pinch there are machines with water, fizzy drinks, crisps, madeleines, mars bars etc at the station

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TVG to Paris

Do bring something with you. It is a long train ride and sometimes there is nothing to buy in the restaurant car.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
87 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TVG to Paris

Thank you so much!

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TVG to Paris

My aunt traveled all over the world, and she never left home without a jar of peanut butter. Nor do I. :) Happy travels!

7. Re: TVG to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:22