We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool...
Level Contributor
148 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
First time to nice

Hi, we are travelling to Nice on October 18th for three days and have no idea what climate will be like, where to go, how to get from airport to Ajoupa hotel etc etc....please help! Any advice or recommendations for restaurants, travel etc much appreciated. We are late 40s with 2 daughters aged 9 and 12. Thanks!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to nice

A good place to look to answer your 'how to get there' question in on the hotel's own website... they have a page called "How to get to the hotel". ;^)

ajoupanice.com/short-term-apartment-rentals-…

As it suggests, the 98 bus from the airport is the cheapest way to get there. We took it to a hotel quite close to yours and it couldn't have been easier. Have small bills to pay the driver.

For weather info and history try http://www.meteo.fr

Edited: 07 September 2013, 12:48
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to nice

the 98 bus is not the cheapest way to get there, You can take a local service bus [52 /59 /70 ] for 1euro 50 from outside terminal 1 - stop aeroport /promenade [or buy a multi10 ticket 10 journey ticekt for 10 euros which can be used by multiple people -validate as many times as people and only once if making a connection]

cokguzel

what time of day do you arrive?

what are you interested in doing?

what do you and kids like to do/see?

liverpool...
Level Contributor
148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to nice

We arrive around 9pm....we are interested in getting on a train to Monte Carlo, Monaco and I believe we can even get into Italy on the train. We are not fans of museums, but we do like old towns, marinas and anywhere picturesque....we also travel on a budget so will be looking for some reasonably priced restaurants. Thanks again

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to nice

Menton is a nice place to visit. Lovely coast line and beach, plus lots of shops. For me Monaco and Monte Carol was not a place i liked, a lot of walking up and down steep steps, however if you have a map you may find more interesting places to see. Nice Old Town is a good place to see and visit for shopping bars and a bit of history. On the French Tourist Website you can book a Greeter for free, who will show you round the City i got a great guy who had lots of knowledge about Nice and was very enthusiastic too. I believe the Italian border is very close to Nice, but i did not go there myself. The buses are very reasonably priced but they can get really busy at times, meaning you have to stand up and French bus driver are not particularly passenger friendly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to nice

With only 3 days you should focus on Nice and its old town and perhaps a close day trip. Is there something you want to see in Italy ?

I also don't love Monte Carlo so make sure you read these forums and research before you go. Nothing wrong with it just very built up with large apartment buildings and somewhat superficial to me.

Look at Eze village - like a fairy castle in the sky with stunning views. Your kids and you will enjoy. Also Villefranche sur mer is very close to Nice and has a great old town.

liverpool...
Level Contributor
148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to nice

Thanks for these replies, Eze sounds lovely. Is it easy to get to? And what do you think about Cannes, is this worth a trip? Many thanks

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
61 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to nice

One of our favorite places to visit was Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild http://www.villa-ephrussi.com. It's only 10 km. from Nice. The gardens are amazing. The views from there are splendid. By bus take 100 from Nice. There is parking if you drive.

We also loved Eze Village. If you go to Eze, not to be missed is the JARDIN EXOTIQUE D'EZE jardinez.com/Parcs-et-jardins-Le-Jardin-d-Ez… at the top of the hill. The views from there are so beautiful along with the statues and plants. Take the 83 bus to Eze Village if you're without a car.

Of course do not miss the Vieille Ville

http://www.nice-vieille-ville.com. Each day we were in town we made our way there. The Cours Saleya or market was SO much fun. Great place for lunch and local specialties.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to nice

Cannes is not worth a visit.

One place that you should get to is Antibes. If you are into marinas.....Port Vauban in Antibes is spectacular.

Monaco is not worth a visit either....particularly if you have such a short time.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to nice

I agree with the suggestion that with 3 days it would be best to focus on Nice and do one day trip either east or west

If Monaco appeals, it combines well with Eze village and a stop at Villefranche on the way home by train

I think Villa Ephrussi will disappoint if you have been to Tatton Park though.

If you choose to head west instead, the Regates Royales in Cannes begins on 21st - beautiful ancient sailing yachts will be arriving in Cannes prior to the competition; they line the old harbour and put the gin palaces and mega yachts (which are always around) in the shade

http://www.regatesroyales.com/

Also the children may enjoy a trip out to one of the isles de Lerins by ferry from Cannes old harbour.

Cannes combines well with a stop in Antibes en route

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to nice

ive just come back, wouldnt go to cannes again but monaco was amazing