We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice: a few tips

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nice: a few tips

Short, and straight to the point, off the top of my head here's a few tips from my stay in Nice that I hope can be helpful to anybody who is planning a trip there.

The airport is very close to the city, if you want to save the 6 euros that the 98/99 direct buses cost, take the number 23 instead, it's a city bus that costs 1.50 euro (or 1 euro if you buy a 10 trip card), it stops a few times along the way but it'll leave in the center of town in around half an hour.

As most people recommend, a day trip to Cannes and Monaco are definitely recommended. However, while the bus trip to Monaco is lovely (view along the coast is amazing) and relatively short (around 40 minutes), same cannot be said to the trip to Cannes. Mine took over two hours, and the bus must have stopped what felt like a hundred times along the way. If you don't want to waste 4-5 hours just to get there and back I recommend the train, although it's quite more expensive (6.60 euros versus 1.50 euro for the bus). Also, be aware that the 10 trip bus card does not work for either Monaco or Cannes.

Go to Ezè, it's really lovely and quaint, if a little crowded and touristy. You can get there using the regular bus ticket. It's small so you don't need to spend much more than a couple of hours, and it's totally worth it.

The old town in Nice is crowded with restaurants, almost every square meter is filled with them. They look and feel very touristy, and as person from Barcelona, I was very reluctant to eat in any of them as I cringe on a daily basis seeing the kind of touristy places that some people chose to eat when they come here. However, I was surprised to discover that most restaurants actually offer some fair value and you can have a decent meal if you look around. My point: if you're more of a foodie and wish to spend some time researching places to go eat, I'd say by all means go ahead, but if you find yourself wandering around the old town and you're hungry, you can still enjoy a decent meal.

Eat socca. This is a garbanzo (chickpea) pancake that is often eaten by itself as a snack. I didn't know about this before going but when I saw people eating it everywhere I had to try it and it's delicious.

Eat ice cream. Incredible variety of flavors, good quality - guess proximity to Italy doesn't hurt - decent price, good stuff.

Eat croissants. They really are better in France.

Coffee is a little expensive, at least for my standards - compared to Spain, similar/lower quality, doble the price.

The Russian church is lovely, a bit out of the way but worth a trip. City is not that large anyway and is very walkable.

England
Level Contributor
169 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice: a few tips

Thanks so much for the tips. We are landing in nice on Wednesday going to marseille by train for 24 hours then back to nice for the weekend! SO excited!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice: a few tips

Agree with most of what you said except I loved many restaurants in old town Nice. They may look touristy but there are many great ones.

The coffee in Barcelona was the best I have ever had. Nothing comes close.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice: a few tips

Very nice report with good "traveler friendly" info!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice: a few tips

Some more random things that come to mind:

Remember that in France you don't have to pay for water if you don't want to, you can ask for a jar of tap water (for the extremely picky, water is good, don't worry).

Eat a naan kebab: this is just a kebab like the ones you can find almost everywhere (at least here in Spain) but the meat is wrapped in an Indian naan bread cooked right there in front of you (at least where I had it). Un-freacking-beliveable.

Weather in September: amazing, except for one day when it rained the hardest I've literally ever seen. I am not sure if this is normal, but judging by most people's reaction it did seem a bit of a freak occurrence.

Guess most people know this already but the beach in Nice is rocky, takes a while to get comfortable if you're used to sandy beaches but it's nice to not be all covered in sand afterwards. Water has an amazing blue color, the reason why they named it Cote d'Azur is pretty clear the moment you see it.

You'll see 3-men army patrols through the city rather frequently. This feels sort of odd but I am guessing it's some sort of anti terrorism thing, just very much the same kind of thing you see around the Eiffel tower and such.

Area around the train station is rather dodgy, as those areas typically tend to be in most cities, but I personally didn't feel as if it was actually dangerous as some people claim, just the kind of place where you keep an eye on your surroundings and keep your wits about you.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice: a few tips

The 200 bus from Nice to cannes is not recommended ,even during a train strike , unless you are going to a cannes for something of the magnitude of a kidney transplant. There are long traffic jams on the route every day

You were here during the International French language sports meeting period - hence the increased security

the train station area is not dangerous but like everywhere crowded, you should watch your belongings

Rain is almost always very very heavy torrents which hammers down and is over fairly quickly to return to blue skies = usually a max of one day in summer , couple of days in winter]

Edited: 16 September 2013, 16:07
Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice: a few tips

Invest in 'jellies' footwear if you want to avoid painful beach pebble experience. Best 10 euro we ever spent in Nice.

7. Re: Nice: a few tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:22