We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eze transport advice

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
245 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Eze transport advice

My friend (visiting from the States) and I (newly settled in Nice) decided to go to Eze on Saturday, Sept. 14. We took the 82 bus from Ségurane; it currently originates at Vauban, and I STRONGLY encourage you to pick it up there if you are taking it 1) on any day in the high season or 2) on a weekend day. By the time it got to us at Ségurane, it was fairly full, and it was packed by the time it departed that stop (and forget about queueing -- it's a scrum). We were lucky enough to get seats, but many people were standing for the half-hour ride on the winding, hilly road. Be prepared for that.

There is a post on TripAdvisor that seems to indicate that it's not too strenuous of a hike to get from the Éze train station to the foot of the medieval village. First off, it's a bit difficult to find the path; second, it is QUITE A HIKE. I STRONGLY recommend the 82 bus from Nice (or the 83 from near the Eze train station) if you are going to take public transit. And when you take the 82 or the 83, GET OFF AT EZE VILLAGE, NOT EZE COL! There is nothing at Eze Col. I somehow got the impression that there was from another TripAdvisor post, and this was decidedly not the case!

However, if you wish to circumvent the crowds and secure a seat on the bus on peak days, pick up the 82 or 83 at Eze Village on the trip INTO Eze (destination Plateau de la Justice) and just stay on when it turns around. This may not work if you have a single-journey ticket but will be fine if you have a day pass or a 10-journey pass. (Our driver didn't care, but you should probably re-validate just in case. Lignes d'Azur does occasionally do fare checks -- we had one Friday night on the N4, my first in my week in Nice.) At any rate, if you do this, you'll pull up to the bus stop crowded with tourists and sit there snug as a bug in a rug as they all clamor to get on the bus and push for elbow room.

If you take the 83 down to Eze proper and plan to take the 100 from Menton/Monaco back to Nice, you'd better have a Plan B during high season and on weekends. We encountered the dreaded "Bus Complet" (full, no more passengers), so we hoofed it to the train station, crammed ourselves into the packed Monaco-Cannes train, and endured it for a few stops. I think the tickets (regular, aller simple, no discounts) were about 2.30 euros apiece.

Bottom line: If you want to go to Eze on a weekend, especially during high season, you'll do best to plan ahead and be prepared to be flexible with your travel plans. This is probably true of many popular tourist destinations in the region (I've seen the 200 bus to Cannes sailing past with "Bus Complet" displayed on its front more than once). What I'm saying is, if at all possible, get on the bus at its point of origin (or earlier, if you have a day pass), and be prepared to have your travel plans thwarted. Just go with it. It'll work out.

All that said: Eze itself was gorgeous and was totally worth all the transit headaches involved in getting there and back. I will be sending every visiting friend there, and may accompany several of them because I loved it so much. It's like San Gimigniano, Italy, but on a much smaller scale and without the horrible torture museum. ;)

Many more Adventures In Nice to come, including Why One Should Buy Water Shoes Before Attempting To Swim At Miami Beach and Why the Night Buses Are Crazy.

Sincerely,

A New Resident (Liz)

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eze transport advice

i would always recommend getting on as early as possible in a bus's route.

You picked a popular day for local people to do day trips since it was the weekend of the journees de patrimoine which will have contributed to the packed buses.

If you had asked here, i would have suggested going to Eze village another day and going to some more unique places that are open only one wekend a year , or using the 5 euro TER PACA train rovers on the sat and sunday

I would also not suggest it was an easy route up or down from eze village to bord de mer

Col d'eze is the potential start of walks to Fort de la revere , astrorama, grande corniche etc

Drivers do not care if you do not validate yoru tickets but you will be fined if you stay on the bus and try to use the same solo bus ticket or same validation of a multi10 for a return journey in event of an inspection. Inspections are random and you can get checked on the earliest lines at 5.30am or late at night or away in the wilds.

If you can't pay the find instantly, you need to show official id or be referred to the police if you don't have any. And the fine then increases considerably

Bus 200 is not recommended all the way to Cannes from Nice unless you don't value your time as it gets bogged down in traffic every day

FYI-

there is a 5 euro train ticket on wednesday 18th anywhere on the PACA train system in case you want to go further afield.

Also since you have moved here you might find the Carte Zou 50/75% or another carte zou useful if you like to take train trips.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 00:50
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,392 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eze transport advice

When I went, I got on the bus at the very start of the line, and the bus was standing room only. Buses are much more convenient than trains.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eze transport advice

Welcome to Nice, Erdehoff! I've lived here for just a year and relate to every fact stated by every poster here. Except that I find people do queue at bus stops as well as they can in such a narrow space.

I really like how Selkie has imparted just how serious it is to validate one's ticket on each bus ride. These inspectors are so on their toes. Due to that, it constantly worried me that I won't be able to validate mine because I can't shove myself through 10 human bodies and backpacks in my face to get to the machine. So now, I just pass my ticket down the line for a stranger to punch for me. I only need to do that about 8% of the time but the inspectors are at the Longchamp bus stop 25% of the time I disembark there.

Otherwise, I'm thinking about what I'll say to the inspector to stop one ticketing me. I just don't know how strong or big they think a passenger should have to be before they let off someone small, older and wearing glasses for not managing to reach the validation box. My hunch is they won't let anybody off for any reason. And I'd be really mad if I'd paid for my ride and was then ordered to pay a fine or go to court or whatever. I'd like to see their training manual to see if they can exercise ANY discretion and in which circumstances.

I look forward to your writing about the Night Buses. I've posted one about the Menton-Nice one this past summer. That route is known by those who work in other towns along its way to always (always?) be 30 mins or more late. But that's how it is and using it is better than looking and paying for a hotel in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat at 2 am. Some nights, we say "Yeah!" when we finally unlock our door.

I've started keeping on me together two 10-day mulitpasses. Both fit into a double-sided, wallet-sized clear plastic holder used for bus passes in one Canadian city! Those Nice passes fit it perfectly. This arrangement relieves stress over running out of tickets at an inopportune hour or when you get to Garibaldi tram stop late at night and the ticket machines at it aren't working (February to May, 2013). And hopefully, if I'm ever stopped by an inspector, he might see I'm not trying to 'save' the cost of a bus ride by cheating.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eze transport advice

Excellent, traveler friendly advice! To add some tips who for those who might be coming from a base other than Nice, the 83 bus from Beauieu sur Mer is a good route to take to the village. The same principle applies: in the busy season: it's best to board a bus at its origin, and for the 83, that's in Beaulieu sur Mer. The stop is near the larger harbor and it's where you will see the road divide into directional lanes. To get there, you can either take the train to Villefranche sur Mer or closer to the stop, to Beaulieu sure Mer. From either station, it's going to be a walk to the 83 stop, but it's lovely and will add to your enjotment of the region.

Here is how my daughter and I walked along the coastal road from Villefranche, our point of origin on this particular day and a stop I would recommend on this day's outing.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k5935…

From the Beaulieu train station, walk down Bvd. du Marechel Leclerc toward the coastline, and you will see a cycling shop where the road bends to your left along the seafront toward the stop. The stop is on the inland side of the divided road and you may have to look a bit for it as landscaping in the median can obscure the view. The stop is sheltered, so you'll be able to know where it is.

The 83 bus will travel past the Eze train station and up to the village, and the station is the stop where everyone who has traveleld towards the village by train will board. Those lines can be brutal, so that's why the Beaulieu stop is what I (and others) have recommended, especially during the peak travel season. It has looked to me that most of the cruise ship passengers who dock in Villefranche (often "Nice" on a ship's itinerary) travel by train to Eze and will board the bus to the village at that point. From Beaulieu, you are on the bus and avoid this sometimes laborious effort.

Personally, my favorite way to structure this set of day trips would be to end it in Villefranche over cocktails or dinner in one of the harbor resturants. Watching Cap Ferrat light up is lovely. To do this from Nice, I'd take the 82 to Eze Village and the 83 to Beaulieu sur Mer. Walk to Villefranche and either take the train or the 81 or 100 buses back to Nice. From other bases, I'd take the train to Beaulieu sur Mer, the 83 to Eze Village, and the 83 back to Beaulieu for the walk to Villefranche. Depending upon where you are staying, the train may be your best transport back to your base (Cannes, Antibes or Juan les Pins, especially) or a bus may work for closer destinations.

5. Re: Eze transport advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:20