We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Hi - I will be flying back to the states on a Sunday in October after several days in Cassis at the end of a trip and am wondering if it best to stay the last night in Nice or in a surrounding town. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,788 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Cassis is quite small and it will be pretty quiet there in October. You will probably enjoy the vibrancy that Nice will offer after Cassis.

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Are there any other small quaint towns outside of Nice that might be nice? Maybe a town with a vineyard?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,788 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Not a lot of vineyards around Nice that are in a touristic area. Villefranche is a beautiful little village a few kms from Nice

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Several days in Cassis will be a challenge. I would think about spending some time in a vibrant authentic city like Marseille which is a city of culture this year with lots going on. Some new museums have been built others renovated. There is a great walking tour, a trip to Notre Dame de la Garde. Far more to offer than a tourist trap like Cassis. That is just my opinion but Cassis was the one place in France I would never return to (I go every year and have done for 35 years). However it is popular with Americans so if you feel more comfortable with that stick with your plan. Will you have a car to get around?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Last night - or more in Nice definitely, unless you have a car then you will have more options. I spent 2 nights in Tourettes sur Loup once before flying home and after spending several nights in Nice.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

You didn't say: are you flying out of Nice?

You might like to stay in Biot, a perched medieval village with accommodations both in the village and down by the sea. The inland town of Valbonne would be another possibility; the small hotel Les Armoires right on the main square is nice. If it were my choice, however, I would spend every minute possible in Nice, with perhaps one or two day trips to nearby sights.

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am flying out of Nice on a sunday. We are set on Cassis - doing some hiking and climbing there. We want a place that won't be too big that we can't fully enjoy it for the last afternoon/evening and not too far to get to the Nice airport on a Sunday morning.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Have you been to Nice? It's quite pleasant, easy to get around and not all that big.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

Check the viamichelin.com web site for approximate driving times from Cassis to Nice; it might take longer than you think. What time is your flight?

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night in the area before flying out, stay in Nice?

My flight isn't until 12:30, so I have some time in the am. I'd like to get a bit closer to Nice for the night before... Any thoughts on Antibes?