We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to and around Nice

Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to and around Nice

Travelling to Nice Riviera Hotel, arrive 10.00am on a tuesday, I have seen lots of reviews but could do with some final guidance please,

1) Taxi or bus from airport to hotel?

2) If catch Bus where do we get it at airport, where do we get off and how much does it cost? (ideally dont want to have to change buses due to carrying luggage)

3) Is there a day or week travel pass that you can use on all buses and trains to get around Nice, with travel to Monaco, Cannes, Menton, Ese etc?

4) Best method of travel to the other resorts mentioned?

Many Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Nice Riviera
Hotel Nice Riviera
1,363 Reviews
Nice, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Menton
Menton
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to and around Nice

1. bus 6 euros each / taxi 35-40 euros total

2. bus 98 from airport and stop cathedrale/vieille ville and walk 5/10min max (http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/plans_FR/Nice_Centre_2013internet%20(recadr%C3%A9).pdf)

3. pass 7 days (except airport bus) = 15 euros

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/tarifs_FR/Fiche%20tarifaire%202013_135x190[1].pdf

bus 100 for monaco, menton = ok

cannes, antibes, = I am not sure but you can go by train

bus to eze, monaco

train to menton, antibes, cannes

saint paul only bus but 1h30 ! from nice I think

may be rent a car for one or two day if you can and go in the landscape and other days use bus and train

Nice, France
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to and around Nice

if you take a taxi anyway make you the fare if 100% clear when to start the trip.

too often you hear about taxi rides where the final price ends up much higher at the end of the journey compared to the initial discussion.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to and around Nice

In response to several of your questions, here are my thoughts:

#1) If you are arriving after a long flight, I recommend taking a taxi from any arrival airport, not just Nice. This is time when you are tired, can be easily distracted, and have everything with you: your cash, your credit cards, your travel documents, etc. and you are managing luggage. Pickpockets know this and (IMO) after arriving when you are jet lagged, taxi fare is, not an indulgence. As I said in another post, I don't know where you are traveling from, but if it means a long flight, this is my best recommendation.

#4) Generally, the train is the best way to travel if you are heading to a coastal destination towards Cannes. The 200 bus travels this distance, but it's slow and laborious. Between Cannes, Antibes, and Juan les Pins, the 200 bus is fine. To St. Paul de Vence and Vence, the 400 bus is direct from Nice. In the other direction towards Monte Carlo, the train also travels this distance, but your best option would be a bus. Here are the ones I'm most familiar with and how I would approach your trip, but others may have more to offer:

a) From Nice, buses 82 and 112 are direct to Eze Village. Note that the Eze train station is some distance from the medieval village and the 83 bus connects those locations. However, with the direct bus route from Nice, there would be no reason to take the train if Eze is your destination. The 82 bus runs more frequently than the 112, but they both work.

b) Between Nice and Villefranche, take buses 81 or 100. The 82 bus has a Villefranche stop, but it is high on the incline and not convenient to the harbor. That's where you will want to go in Villefranche. 81 will also travel on to Cap Ferrat and the Villa Ephrussi, should those be destinations you add to your list. FYI, the 100 bus will continue to to Monte Carlo and has a stop at the Eze train station.

c) I would take the train to Menton.

d) Buses 100 and 112 will take you to Monte Carlo from Nice. From Eze Village to Monte Carlo, the 112 bus is direct but it's schedule isn't as frequent as the 100. If the 112 doesn't work for you, take the 83 bus to Eze train station, and either the train or 100 bus to Monte Carlo. Both work, and the 100 bus stops right outside the Eze train station. These maps may be helpful in helping you get oriented in Monte Carlo. They show the ascenseurs and local bus routes that connect the train station to the harbor level and the buses have stops on the lower levels.

monaco-montecarlo.com/documentation/Brochure…

http://www.cam.mc/plan-reseau.php

e) Between Eze Village and Villefranche, my favorite way to travel would be to take the 83 from Eze Village to Beaulieu sur Mer. You will pass the Eze train station, and the 83 route terminates near the large harbor in Beaulieu. The driver will likely take a break at this point, so it's easy to know where to get off. From there, walk along the coastal road to Villefranche. The road will change names several times, but the route is pretty straightforward. Facing the water, walk to your right, past the large harbor, a second smaller harbor and a beach area. You will cross the road onto Cap Ferrat and walk through a residential area. At the this point, the train tracks will be on your right and you will reach steps down to the Villefranche beach. You will see the VF harbor from there. The walk takes about 30 - 45 minutes and the route is lovely. The view from the top of the stairs is one of my favorite spots in the Cote d'Azur..

Here is where you can view the bus routes. Enter the number in the search box along the right margin:

http://www.lignedazur.com/

Trains run frequently and connect the coastal resorts. Reservations aren't necessary, but here is where you can view the schedule. To get to the PDF, follow the directions under the link:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

1) Select the “04 Mandelieu – Cannes – Nice – Ventimiglia” route from the “My Line” list and “Validate.”

2) Under “My search results,” select the same route and you will get to the PDF. For the route in the other direction, scroll through the pages.

You also might find the links on this page helpful in getting around in Nice, particularly the "tram" and "trunk" links. The tram connects Nice's old town and the train station (and beyond) and the "trunk" link will lead you to a map of the Nice bus stops:

www.lignesdazur.com/presentation/?rub_code=71

You might find some of the info on this link helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
St-Paul-de-Vence
St-Paul-de-Vence
Vence
Vence
Eze
Eze
Menton
Menton
Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to and around Nice

Many Thanks for help on the transport front, lots of options to consider.

I want to make sure we make most of our time in Nice, so thanks for your help.

5. Re: Travel to and around Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:18