We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Selkienice

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Question for Selkienice

Appologies for last minute questions. I am usually better organised and whilst we booked months ago have been very busy working towards retirement which arrived today!

Arriving in Nice on Sunday and staying at Hotel West End on Promenade Des Anglais. In an earlier post you mentioned the best bus stops to get off at when travelling from airport. How will we know when we reach the stop. eg.are the stops clearly marked/labled?

Monday we have set aside for Nice - flower market/old town/port etc. Is our hotel close to these attractions? Any other suggestions. We are good walkers. Will we need a bus to get to these attractions from the hotel?

Tuesday we plan to go to Eze and Villefranche

Any suggestions for a good medium price restaurant in Villefranche at the port?

Any suggestions for the Wednesday. We are not interested in Monaco - been before!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Selkienice

Hotel west end is about half way between gambetta/proemade and Congres /promenade.

Bus stops are all clearly marked with the stop names. Even on the few buses with screens showing the next stop, its a good idea to note the stop before you plan to get off and go by the actual stops. It is not unheard of for screens to be out of action or worse, out of synch .

\On mondays a giant flea/antique market repalces the flowers and fruit/veggies.

Old town, port etc is an easy walk from your hotel

what sort of things do you like to do/see? how far do yoiu want to go?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Selkienice

Thanks for the quick response.

We are very relaxed travellers. Like to mix visits with chilling so a long walk along the promenade seems like a good thing for us. Good museums, and climbing to the top of church towers seems like a usual thing for us to do!

Dont want to travel too far, probably no more than an hour.

Thanks again

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Selkienice

Ask the driver. We did and he let us know when we took the bus and wanted to get off at Albert 1iere.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Selkienice

Sit on the right hand side of the bus if possible so you can see the stops clearly as you progress along the promenade.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Selkienice

Bus drivers in Nice are pretty good at letting people know the right stop.

However, we were once in Bristol and had asked to be dropped off at a particulallr stop - we realised the driver had forgotten about us when he pulled into a lay by and started eating his sandwiches!

damasust - do you like art museums?

have you been to st paul de vence, cap ferrat, antibes?

have you been to Cimiez in Nice?

cheshire
Level Contributor
97 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for Selkienice

hi

would you translate the train times for me please..I need to travel to menton on sunday 20th oct around 10am or 11.00 am and then return via montecarlo around 2 ...I know there is a reduced service but depending on how frequently they are I may use the bus instead...thabk you

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for Selkienice

turkey1Cheshire - when you say return via montecarlo, do you intend to stop?

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for Selkienice

I find bus drivers in Nice very helpful and courteous, but they may have many requests and forget.

cheshire
Level Contributor
97 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for Selkienice

yes..a ticket to menton .then return as far as monaco then the 100 bus back to nice is my plan..thank you..also where would you recommend for dinner in nice that is tradtional and not too expensive please?we re stayind on rue d pastorelli

aberdeen
Level Contributor
418 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for Selkienice

Damasust,

Selkienice's suggestions seem spot -on (as usual!) if you haven't been to the places mentioned by her. I do like Antibes for a wander around.

St Jean, on Cap Ferrat, is also worth a visit,.particularly if you combine lunch at one of the waterside restaurants with a walk back to Beaulieu ( or for us Scots - Beauly!), really depends on your preferences. St Jean is, arguably, a better bet for mid-priced restaurants than Villefranche, especially if you want to eat with a sea view.

We arrived In Nice last night, so really enjoying re-acquainting ourselves with this wonderful part of the world;. Aberdeen airport , however, was the busiest I've ever seen it!