We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

My husband and I are planning to stay in Nice in the old town for a week just after Christmas, and will be there for New Years Eve. We are trying to see if there is anything fun going on for New Years Eve but struggling to find things online, does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any great fireworks etc going on? Do we need to book things in advance

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$104.80*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from US$133.80*
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

My husband and I are also looking for ideas for NYE in Nice. Would love to hear some! Thank you!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

what is your idea of fun?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

I'd suggest that you have a pleasant walk passing all the restaurants and hotels along the Promenade des Anglais on the first day you arrive, read their special NYE dinner menus posted outside each and book your choice asap to be sure of having somewhere to eat out that night. Bookings along here fill up about 5 days or more before NYE, we found last year. (Those with websites also post their NYE special dinner menus and take online bookings for it in advance before that week too. This is worth considering.) I suggest eating along the Prom or at one of the restaurants actually on the beach because that's from where the fireworks can best be seen and this stretch has the largest selection of restaurants and hotels' restaurant terraces with an unobstructed view of the sea.

Most locals with families just eat dinner at home, walk with their families or friends up and down the "Prom" (closed to vehicles this night) and watch the fireworks while standing along the seafront. They're still walking at 12:30am. Around 1am, the crowd noticeably thins out. You can walk back to your Old City hotel safely at that hour. The walk takes about 20-25 minutes depending upon where in it your hotel is. We walked home at 2 am last year.

If you'd prefer to combine 'dinner & fireworks' in the Old City, I'd be curious about what "Di Piu", a new and modern-looking Italian restaurant on "Etats-Unis" just to the south of Cours Saleya near the Old City's western end might be doing that night, if anything. It's a popular venue with good food. This will be its first NYE. But I still think the view from the Prom is preferable.

If you'd prefer to split dinner and after-dinner drinks afterwards by moving to another part of town, I don’t advise doing that. It can be hard to find a table free at a second place because most people stay and watch the fireworks from the same place they ate at.

I regret that I can’t advise you on other entertainment events. Perhaps others know of theatre or music venues putting on shows that night. I’ve found no NYE social dances in hotels here yet. No ‘dine and dance’.

North Wales
Level Contributor
754 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

We spent 4-5 nights in the Nice area (including New Year's Eve) back in 2009/10. The inhabitants of the Cote d'Azur seem to have a very different attitude to the British when it comes to celebrating the end of one year and the coming of the next. The emphasis seems to be on going out with the family - having a meal in a restaurant or even a picnic by the sea (weather permitting) and then 'promenading' - walking along the famous Promenade des Anglais 'avec la famille' and watching the fireworks being let-off from boats in the Baie des Anges. Despite the crowds, it was a thoroughly enjoyable affair and not a drunken yob in sight!

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,067 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

Since when is there fireworks at "reveillon" in Nice? Now that my daughter stopped bringing them along ;)

In the recent years I spent reveillon outside Nice in a non-ripp-off restaurant, so this must have been changed, then.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

masses of people have fireworks at new year, including poeple on boats and some hotels put on displays - but Nice has official fireworks at other points in the year - carnaval, liberation of Nice, 14th july,

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,067 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

Absolutely. In summer at Cote d'Azur there is fireworks all over...

Sao Paulo, SP
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

sockhopper, Your review was very helpfull. Could you please let me know what else is there to do in Nice after the fireworks? Do the bars stay open?

Thanks!

Edited: 25 November 2013, 00:28
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

Made4Ever,

The 2 places in the Carre d’Or that stay open until 2am, the regulated closing time, are:

-“The Atrium” on rue Alphonse Karr in Carre d’Or. It’s a little bit upscale, a dance bar in a good area where you’ll fit in dressing up. Be sure to check its hours:

http://www.atrium-nice.com/

-“Queenie” which gets horrible reviews for its food and ambiance and is a large-screen sports’ bar –not my taste for any day let alone NYE. But it does stay open to 2am which is later than anywhere else along the Promenade des Anglais:

http://www.queenie.fr/

Perhaps other posters can tell us of other places.

--------------

You could also try Wayne’s Bar in the Old City if you like rock music and ultra-casual. It’s well-recommended on this forum as a place to socialize any day or night:

http://www.waynes.fr/

I’m still looking for a good cocktail bar with cool and glamour in drinks, music and ambiance. This isn’t easy at all. Even an attractive and very popular wine bar near me closes at 10pm! So far, all I’ve found is the fabulous Buddha Bar in Monte-Carlo, not Nice, but without private transport, I’d have to risk taking the night buses back to Nice. These are notoriously 30-45 mins late and run late only on Friday and Saturday whereas NYE falls on a Tuesday this year.

So, I’ll check out in Nice the 'Hi Hotel' (loungey but with dated ‘modern decor’), 'Le Hussard' (beautiful, contemporary); “Di Piu” and “Georges” this year. But I’m not holding my breath for any of these places to be setting aside time for 'drinks only' after the fireworks. If none of these works out, I’ll return to where I went last year or just go to one of my locals where I’m recognized. Because I was lucky to find any empty seats along the Prom last year and might have to scrounge for some again there this year, I’m not naming the place I went to.

NYE isn’t that exciting a night in most of Europe or North America imo. It used to be in my parents’ time when they’d eat out in fabulous places with full orchestras or dance bands, danced the night away with my mother wearing satin in huge beautifully decorated ballrooms and where the door prize was a mink stole which my mother once won. Free champagne. Silver service. Those must have been the days. No wonder I’ve basically stopped expecting much of NYE. Nowadays, my well-off friends and acquaintances who can afford and do fly to anywhere in the world they want on NYE all swear by Rio in your country as being the hands-down most vibrant place on earth to be on NYE.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 20:54
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve 2013 / 2014 in Nice ideas

Noctambuses such as the N100 N200 etc - run on thursday friday and saturday nights plus the night before a french public holiday