We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing a pre-paid SIM card for mobile internet in Nice

Prague, Czech...
2 posts
Save Topic
Purchasing a pre-paid SIM card for mobile internet in Nice

Hello everyone,

I'll be visiting Nice soon and I'd like to ask if I can easily buy a pre-paid SIM card at a local mobile operator (Orange, SFR etc.) so I can have 3G mobile internet access in my phone and laptop. I'm asking because I've never been to France so I don't know whether its infamous bureacracy might make this more difficult than in other countries (either for everyone or only for foreigners).

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$104.80*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from US$133.80*
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing a pre-paid SIM card for mobile internet in Nice

I'm not sure what France's bureaucracy has to do with the purchase of a SIM card, but anyone can buy an Orange or SFR or Lebara or other SIM card very easily in France. You can even buy a Lebara one online and have it delivered to you in advance for free - www.lebara.fr. You will have to register it, but that is true in many European countries.

Prague, Czech...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing a pre-paid SIM card for mobile internet in Nice

Thank you StCirq.

I've just read on two different websites that you need a French address to buy a SIM card.

So this is the sort of possible complications I was asking about.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing a pre-paid SIM card for mobile internet in Nice

Well, I do have a French address, but I also have both a Lebara and an SFR SIM and neither company ever asked for my French address.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing a pre-paid SIM card for mobile internet in Nice

The address requirement was the case years ago and may still be the case if you ask for for SIM cards to be sent in the post to you. But nearly every tabac and post office sells them now - no address will be asked for.

If you want a card mailed to you could try LeFranceMobile site. And don't forget Monaco Telecom who market actively for overseas business.

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing a pre-paid SIM card for mobile internet in Nice

Lebara France used to post free sim cards to non French addresses , but I believe they have stopped doing so now.

As Ed mentions tabacs, post offices, large supermarkets, phone shops all sell sim cards without the requirement for a french address, but do remember to take along your passport, which is an extra bureaucratic step not common to other European countries .

6. Re: Purchasing a pre-paid SIM card for mobile internet in Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17