We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

We're planning to travel to the French Riviera / Nice area in June and taking along three small children (a 4 year old and twins 1 and half years old). I want to know what town might be the best suggestion for us to rent an apartment in. We definitely want access to a beach. We'll want relatively easy access to public transportation to take small trips to the other towns (we don't mind walking around town), We'll also want some restaurants, shops and grocery stores in our town to get some supplies for the apartment. And we'll need to use a stroller as well.

Given this information, can anyone give me a suggestion on what town might work best for us? Villefrance-sur-mer, Beaulieu-sur-mer, or another suggestion?

Tour Azur
Day Trips, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours
La Cavaleta - votre velo taxi a Nice
Bike Tours, City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Other Outdoor Activities
Happymoov
Taxis & Shuttles
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,473 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

Villefranche has a good beach for kids. It is usually fine gravel / sand mix and it is not that steep going into the water. No beach facilities though like loungers and parasols. But aside from the waterfront in VIllefranche....it is very steep and I wouldn't want to navigate it with infants and strollers.

I would have a good look at Juan-les-Pins. It is level, has kid friendly beaches and there is a good selection of apartments for rent.

The transit connections might be slightly more challenging to move around from town to town but the basic "infrastructure" of the place will suit your needs. You can play, shop and move around pretty easily with your kids.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

I would suggest that you consider Antibes. Relatively flat, a great sheltered beach for children, a good selection of modern apartments, a good covered market, restaurants and 3 supermarkets and multiple boulangeries in the town. Good access to public transportation.

http://tinyurl.com/Antibes-Images

frenchrivierarentals.co.uk/accomodation.html

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

I forgot to mention the most important thing about Antibes imo - it has a fabulous, vibrant, compact old center.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,636 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

The area of Ste-Maxime is very popular with European families.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,473 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

JLP and Antibes share a "border" and in many ways are the same "destinaition." JLP is more modern and developed and is suited to a younger crowd while Antibes is older with a wonderful Marche and one of the largest old towns along the coast. They are contiguous on the same peninsula.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 07:00
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

One of the highlights for my grandchildren visiting Antibes is taking the little tourist train around the very scenic Ramparts to Juan les Pins. Not forgetting the Marineland theme park 4 km away (OK, not my own choice but great for kids). Plenty of playground spaces in Antibes too.

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

Given your criteria, Villefranche would not be a great choice for the reasons alluded to above.

If you want to stay close to Nice and its airport, Beaulieu sur Mer is relatively flat and has a child friendly beach.

For larger places with more amenities, also consider JLP/Antibes and Cannes which is very child and stroller friendly , very easy to get to using public transport with the famous Croisette promenade, playgrounds and a Petit train ( tourist train)

Without a car, I would not consider places further west such as Ste Maxime

Hope this helps

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

I would also think Antibes (plages Salis, Ponteil, Gravette), Juan-les-Pins or - closer to Nice - Beaulieu. The beach "Petite Afrique" is definetely suitable for children. Eze-sur-Mer might be okay as well.

But if family-beaches are your main concern, there are better places than the area around Nice (St. Raphael, Ste. Maxime, Le Lavandou ...).

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

I wouldn't consider Villefranche especially "stroller friendly." The town has a steep rise from the beach and harbor level, and that would not be my favorite thing to do with young children. I would also discount Monte Carlo for the same reason. As others have, I'm more tempted to recommend Cannes or Antibes/Juan les Pins where I have seen play areas I would use if I were traveling with a child. I think the beaches in these destinations would work with young children, and Nice's beach would not be my choice for your travel. However, don't miss a day trip to Nice and I would categorize the harbor/old town area as also being "stroller friendly."

Here is a link describing some the region's playgrounds:

…wordpress.com/tag/…

To find a location that works for you, you might want to do a Google "Walking Directions" search from an apartment you are considering to these parks, and to give you idea of the terrain and beach proximity, look at the satellite image.

Here is a recent discussion on this topic that might also be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/…54183523

Have a great trip!

New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with three small children

Thank you so much. After looking into it, I think you're right. I think Juan Les Pins / Antibes is perfect for what we're looking for.