We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas shopping in Nice.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Christmas shopping in Nice.

What times are the Big Supermarkets like Carrefour Open from December 23rd through to January 2nd.

Are they open December 24th? If so what time do they close.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas shopping in Nice.

Yes, surpermarkets will be open on the 24th

23rd will be normal hours or possibly later

24th, normally shops shut a little bit earlier around maybe 5 or 6pm though some will shut at their normal time, whenever that is

I know carrefour tnl is open on sat 28th from 8-20hrs as an exception and open sundays up till xmas [same hours]. i haven't heard anything about xmas eve, but usually these things are posted at the last minute

Most shops will be shut xmas day and new years day but everything will be open 26th and 2nd jan. Xmas market , ice rink, theme park and fair will be open on xmas day and new years day

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas shopping in Nice.

Thank you so much for your reply which is very helpful and has put our minds at rest.

A happy Christmas to you and a great New Year.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas shopping in Nice.

If you want to experience "shopping-hell on earth" visit the Carrefour Lingostiere on the 31st late afternoon.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas shopping in Nice.

I've never seen frantic shopping here that compares , even with early december shopping in the Uk

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas shopping in Nice.

No relief to hear that its worse elsewhere, but I doubt that.

It's not only the sheer masses heading to the 60+ cash registers where you should be prepared to wait for half an hour and there's still the long way to the car. The staff cannot cope anymore with dropped joghurts on the floor or snatched boxes. There are megaphone guys trying to talk you into buying all this prefab food, oysters, foie-gras, chapons... The fridge doors are opened too often so that thick layers of frost built up on the goods. Even french kids are losing patience.

But don't take my word for it, see for yourself. Not that there are no alternatives...

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas shopping in Nice.

Most people from the Uk will find french shopping over the xmas /new year period sedate

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas shopping in Nice.

My local Leclerc isn't bad either...

8. Re: Christmas shopping in Nice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:17