We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

automobile rental

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
automobile rental

Does anyone have advice regarding a reasonably priced rental car for one week in Nice--picking up and returning to airport or train station.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: automobile rental

Contact Autoeurope:

www.autoeurope.com

Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: automobile rental

Thank you.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: automobile rental

Kemwel is also a good rental agency, a sister to Autoeurope.

Note that picking up a car at the airport or train station means incurring an extra fee. We always get our car at one of the stations in Nice near the Meridien hotel.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: automobile rental

Catullus is absolutely correct. That extra fee for picking up a car at the Nice airport is 45€ above the quote from Autoeurope.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,379 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: automobile rental

Do not think so. My "rental-car search" currently finds an Auto-Europe offer of € 152 for a week of Toyota Aygo (awful car). Same price when you pick it up in town.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: automobile rental

You might want to take another look tplus and read a little more carefully. There is a long list of potential costs which are NOT included in a price quote from Autoeurope.

From an Autoeurope pickup voucher (and it´s on their website):

* Rental excludes location surcharge of approximately EUR

40 for rentals commencing at an airport (excluding Nice

Airport where the fee is EUR 44.50) or railstation location

All of the fees and surcharges are applied to the renters credit card by the drop off station at the completion of the rental.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,379 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: automobile rental

I know well that there are often airport charges (usually around € 15) and as I am really interested in that, I performed the complete booking process (quitted before the last step finally ordering it). €152 remained, no surcharge. Same price like Cagnes-sur-Mer.

Please note:

It was for 1 week Toyota Aygo, full/full, 16 Jan - 23 Jan, NCE Terminal 2

I did not book at "Auto-Europe" but via "billiger-mietwagen.de", a pricefinder.

There can be different quotes for different countries of origin. I sometimes get different quotes for same company/car/period depending on the residence I state (France or Germany).

Can't say more than that. I booked over Autoeurope at airports, also NCE and would have never accepted a € 40 surcharge.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,379 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: automobile rental

Getting weirder: An Opel Corsa from Thrifty booked over the Auto-Europe website is in Nice-town € 50 more expensive than at the airport (also Thrifty). Even when there is still a € 45 surcharge to come later, its still cheaper...

Compare carefully...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: automobile rental

All the major agencies are just off the Promenade des Anglais at the hotel Meridien. Save yourself the time and expense of an airport or train station pickup. If it appears a car is cheaper at one location over another pick up the phone, call AE and ask for the lower rate.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: automobile rental

Is there a bus going to the airport from the car rental agencies near the Meridien? If so does anyone know the bus number.