We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

I currently have 4 hotel reservations in nice, and I am trying to decide. We will be in Nice for 4 days, and plan on traveling by bus for 3 of them. We will spend our evenings in Nice. The hotels I am holding are:

Clarion Grand Hotel Aston on Felix Faure

Best western Roosevelt

Mercure centre Nice Notre Dame

Hotel nice excelsior

I am leaning towards the Grand Aston as the location looks good, and the hotel seems pleasant. We booked renovated rooms for all hotels. The Roosevelt has the best price. If anyone has experience with these hotels, I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,788 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

Hope that you checked the cancellation policies......

Could make for an expensive visit otherwise.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 03:09
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,570 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

Of these the first two are both in great locations. You cant go wrong

What month?

Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

Oh yes, all can be cancelled! They are all only on a credit card hold. I won't be traveling until May, but wanted to make my decision so I wouldn't forget. From the looks of it, the Grand Aston seems to be a bit nicer than the Roosevelt but it is hard to tell. - hence my post here! If they are the same, I may as we'll save a bit and go with the Roosevelt, however I am not paying all that much more for the Grand Aston. Also, the rooftop terrace on the GA seems great. The pool will likely still be closed when I visit, but do you know if the terrace is still accessible?

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

I can only comment on the bar and the terrace of the Aston and this should not be the main reason to book the hotel. Its looking better on photo. Best rooftop in Nice has the Radisson.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

all are in the center, 10min by walk of difference may be

excelsior, the area is may be less beautiful ;-)

but the hotel have the best reviews of 4

and in second best western for the reviews

aston could be a good option for the view on the new park if your room are well oriented but as mercure, reviews are not the best

mercure notre dame is also known for group and airport staff

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,570 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

Sorry to disagree with Nice-French - but from a tourist's perspective, I would not consider rue gambetta as center. (despite the hotel Mercure having "center" in its name)

And excelsior is by the train station-- not a good area to stay at all especially if you have other choices.

The first 2 are both in fun central locations.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

Doby, Mercure notre dame is not in Gambetta !

it's rue notre dame and next to av Jean Medecin, in front of the Cathedrale = in the center and next to the main avenue

and I'm agree with you excelsior is not in the best area because next to the train station and the population is not the best

Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

Thanks!

So, it looks like I will be deciding between the Grand Aston and the Roosevelt.

At the Grand Aston, I have a reserved a "Superior Room". I understand that to mean one of their renovated rooms.

At the Roosevelt, it is only a "Standard Room". I can't really tell from the website or reviews whether I will be disappointed with this room.

As I mentioned, the Roosevelt is a moderately better price, but I did manage to get a great deal at Grand Aston due to a pricing glitch. That is primarily the reason why I am leaning towards the GA, since the original price was so much more than the Roosevelt (hence apparent better value). Of course, that could just mean they were overpriced to begin with!

So, I suppose I am now asking whether the Standard Room at the Roosevelt is OK or would the Superior room at the GA be a better choice?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,497 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

it is abusive behavior like this that has resulted in strict cancellation policies which penalize then travelers who have a genuine need to cancel arrangements. what if everyone went about booking up several hotels? this is shameful behavior.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holding 4 hotels - need help deciding

Depending on how much time is left. If its a booking for summer, that will not have caused to much harm. They did not have to send other guests away because of these bookings.

However, I would never handle it like this myself. First decide, then book and stay with it. I know there are folks who are doing this with restaurants.