We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice area family holiday

J S
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nice area family holiday

I'm looking to book a two week holiday for me, my husband and daughter (7) and stumbled across the area around Nice. I love the sound of Nice (old town, beach, many restaurants and easy access to day trips to Cannes, Monte Carlo etc). But thought it may feel too much like a city break to stay for two weeks (we are used to holidays in Menorca - i.e. Beautiful sandy beaches and relaxing by the pool). Therefore I am considering staying for one week in Nice and moving on somewhere a bit more beachy for second week. We wouldn't mind travelling a little to second destination - had thought about flying over to Sardinia. But then I came across Juan les Pins... I'm now feeling quite confused about what to! Questions I'm pondering...

- Should we stay one week in Nice and one in Juan les Pins (will they offer different things?)

- Should we stay in Nice for two weeks and just daytrip to different beaches?

- Are there any other places we should consider for second destination?

I know this is probably just a matter of personal choice but wondered if anyone out there had any advice??

J

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,940 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice area family holiday

I'm a big believer in changing hotels rather than long day trips but a lot of people will disagree.

I think " living" somewhere for a few days is vastly differed than day trip.

Having said that , Nice is wonderful and a great location for day trips. Really nice places with beaches to visit close by are Villefranche sur mer (5 minutes from Nice) Antibes , JLP and Menton. Keep in mind that Nice beaches are rocks and hurt your feet ( people will jump in to say they are pebbles. You will need beach shoes ).

You can also stay in these towns and visit Nice.

Another idea is to try a different area that you cannot easily day trip to. Check Cassis, a beach and seaside village in Provence. A very different feel and you can visit the Provence towns. Different cuisine and architecture than the riviera

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Menton
Menton
J S
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice area family holiday

Thanks Doby47, I will take a look at Cassis.

Mentioned in this post
Cassis
Cassis
Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice area family holiday

When beach/sea is what you want, nothing in Europe can compete with Sardinia. However: You did not mentioned the time you want to travel. In July/August Sardinia is crowded with Italian tourists and expensive. That said, in Juan-les-Pins at this period, you'll have to wait at the beach until someones leaves in order to find standing room. From September 1st, 8 am. until June 30, 8 pm., the following year Sardinia is dead. Empty. Think of "The Omega Man" but without Charlton Heston. But the sea and the beaches are still there!

Mentioned in this post
J S
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice area family holiday

Unfortunately tplus, we only have the option of August!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,940 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice area family holiday

I've been to the south of France (and all over the Mediterranean ) every year in August. I love it. Yes it's crowded but that's because the weather is sunny and warm and ideal for beach and boating. You will enjoy.

Will you have a car? You are better off without one for Nice and area. To stay in cassis there is plenty to do in the summer without a car but to leave cassis to explore the area you are much better off with a car.

Cassis has nice multiple beaches (some rocks and some with sand ) and fantastic natural gorge rock formations called "Callanques" (sp?) that you can take a boat tour or hike to. Large old town.

Menton is so very pretty with nice beachside cafes and restaurants and a very small old town. Multiple beaches. Easy to get to from Nice by train. Great botanical garden and parks.

VF is very charming and quaint with one small beach. Easy by taxi bus or train. Small but charming old town.

Antibes is larger but smaller than Nice. Also easy by train. Multiple beaches and a large interesting old town with great outdoor markets and tons to do. Jlp is next to Antibes so you'd end up doing both in a week.

Mentioned in this post
Cassis
Cassis
Menton
Menton
Antibes
Antibes
J S
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice area family holiday

Thanks again Doby47. Quick look at images of Menton, looks beautiful. would you say Menton would be a bit quieter and more relaxing than JLP? We probably won't bother with a car as I've read lots about the great public transport around Nice. For our second week we are really looking to stay put anyway

and have lazy days on the beach with nice evening walks around a town for meal/drinks.

Mentioned in this post
Menton
Menton
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,940 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice area family holiday

I've not been to Menton or JLP in August so I will let someone else opine on which is quieter then.

Mentioned in this post
Menton
Menton
aberdeen
Level Contributor
599 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice area family holiday

I suspect that JLP would be busier in August than Menton. It also has more of a sea-side "resort" feel than Menton. Teenage children would probably like the late-night feel of JLP but I'm not sure it would have the same appeal to a seven year old.

Personally, I'd opt for VF: very close to Nice (trains until around midnight), easy access to Eze, Beaulieu, Cap Ferrat etc and the beach is rough sand with an area of water taht protects against jellyfish

Mentioned in this post
Menton
Menton
Eze
Eze
J S
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice area family holiday

Thanks jtpj777 I will definitely look into VF also. Another recommendation I've had today is Port Grimaud. Any one know how this compares with others mentioned?

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice area family holiday

Port Grimaud has only a small beach. Its - surprise - a port! Sort of...

Doby47 is somewhat right, but is does not has to be Cassis. The french would indeed choose the coast between Cavalaire and Cassis for a family beach vacation. Or the coast west of Marseille, but thats maybe not what non-french want.

If expense is no object, check out the Ile Porquerolles. I won't get any better than that. But only when the day-trippers have left. Then its paradise.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 18:50
Mentioned in this post
Cassis
Cassis
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France