We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in French Riviera with teens

new jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in French Riviera with teens

We are traveling from Lyon (12 days vacation), will rent a car, planning to make stops on the way:

Avignon, St.Tropez, Cannes,Antibes, Nice, Monaco, probaly a few other places.

Where better to stay, we will fly out of Nice around 6 AM, if we choose Atibes can we get a taxi to airport? Should we keep a car to the end of our trip or should we use public transportation ( I know there is problems with parking.What is more easier and economical to find hotel/B&B or apartment for 4 people?

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Ming Tour Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
One-Limousine
Taxis & Shuttles
Vtc 06
Taxis & Shuttles
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with teens

the more economical will by to rent apart'hotel = check citadines, apart city, sejoursdusud...

you will get apartment with reception and sometimes hotel services (often in extra)

taxi from antibes to nice and night hours and luggages = between 80 and 100 euros ?

if you stay in nice, keep your car 1 or 2 days to visit outside nice and countryside (saint paul de vence, gourdon, gorges du verdon...) and use public transport (train, bus) to visit monaco, antibes, cannes, eze....

if you stay outside nice, may be keep your car most days because it's easier to use public transport from Nice

new jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with teens

Thank you, I was thinking to rent apartment in Provence for 1 week, and I have 3 fool days for Riviera ( we will stop in St.Tropez on away), probably will base in Nice and use public transport as you suggested. Is it a problem to order taxi in Nice for 4AM( how much it might cost), or should we move to airport hotel?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with teens

if you stay in a hotel or apart'hotel with reception desk = ask to them to book a taxi the day before

the airport is not far from the center (10 to 20 min)

about 35-45 euros the night ?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with teens

As we've shared on another thread: if you stay in Nice, take a taxi to the airport; if you stay in another resort, spend your last night in a Nice airport hotel. We are based in Cannes when we travel, and it's very stressful to take a taxi and know you will arrive in time for a 6 AM flight.. From someplace other than Nice, you have to factor in your travel time to the airport, and from Cannes, the farthest distance on your list, we allow an hour. We discovered the Novotel Arenas and stopped doing that after our first few trips.

Whether to keep your car while your are in the Riviera is really a matter of choice. A car isn't necessary as the public transportation system in this part of France is convenient and efficient, and parking and traffic can be an annoyance. I also think that public transporttion is part of the culture that I enjoy, but then, I live in Kentucky where things are spread out and we don't have similar transport...we drive and I like not doing that.

Nice will be lovely, but if you want beach time and would prefer something softer than Nice's "stoney" surface, I'll suggest again, look towards Cannes, Antibes and Juan les Pins. However, the natural surface in Nice maybe a novelty in your trip vs. the sand that is imported to the others. In the end, however, you won't go wrong with whatever base you.choose. The are all lovely, and each one is an easy train or bus ride away from the others.

You are at a part of your planning where everything is on the table, and it will be less overwhelming once you've narrowed things down. You will put together the trip that works best for your family.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Antibes
Antibes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
5. Re: Where to stay in French Riviera with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:19