We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3/4 nights outside Nice

Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3/4 nights outside Nice

Heading to Nice in July for 7-10 days, going to stay in Nice itself for 4/5 nights to see the main sights and have a base for day trips to Monte Carlo, Eze, Cannes etc.. But would love to get away from the busy towns/cites for 3/4 days and head to a cabin or something somewhere in the country or nice village to enjoy the french countryside, Any suggestions? Somewhere thats on a public transport route and not too far from Nice maybe within two hours or so.....

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

Now thats not easy, bearing in mind the location of Nice. South of it is - obviously - the sea, east is Italy (for the ignorant French: outer space), to the north there are the alps with fantastic scenery, but therefore also a lot of tourism even in summer (hikers, bikers...), not realy rural countryside.

That leaves the west and it can only be the space between the touristic Cote d'Azur and the touristic Provence, off from the touristic coast, so the area between Grasse and Aix-en-Provence, north of the A8. You should check out the area Bargemon/Seillans/Tourrettes/Callian (already provencal) or the area between Barjols and Draguignan (good wine, there). Or the Vaucluse (a bit further away).

Not easy, France is a large country!

Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

Thanks for your reply, actually north around the alps scenery sounds fantastic! Just outta the city is what we are looking for in the countryside with pretty scenery for short hikes walks etc

Thanks again :)

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

Then I would go for Valberg or Saint-Etienne-de-Tinée. But these are more or less towns mainly catering for tourists, especially Valberg. But both deliver good scenery some infrastructure and fresh air. When in Saint-Etienne, hike to the Lac de Vens (first bus, then hike). Check out this (Haut-Pays):

randoxygene.org/pge/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

Look at Vence, Grasse, Saint Paul de Vence, Menton, roquebrune and Villefranche sur mer. The first 3 are towns away from the coast and the rest are small villages by the sea. Also Peillon, which I have not been to, I've heard a lot about in terms of being off the grid.

All the above are in the Cote d'Azur. You can also go to Western Provence to the Luberon and stay in Bonnieux, Menerbes or Lacoste. Bonnieux is my favorite. These are hilltop perched villages and very different from Nice.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

Saorge may well be the village you want. It certainly impressed me - it hangs over the valley and has a Tibetan like appearance - not that I've been in Tibet but I've seen 'Lost Horizon' . It has a Monastery too.

It is one of the more remote places you can get to by train from Nice ( just over an hour) and unlike some villages it is only a short 15 min walk from the station. . I didn't stay there but there are some good recommendations actually in or near the village to be found here on TA that might be close to that get-away cabin where you are going to write a novel etc....

www.francethisway.com/places/saorge.php

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

<<But would love to get away from the busy towns/cites for 3/4 days and head to a cabin or something somewhere in the country or nice village to enjoy the french countryside, Any suggestions? Somewhere thats on a public transport >>

Maybe something along the lines of this ?

http://www.tendemerveilles.com/

Train des Merveilles from Nice will get you there

Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

Thats great, Thank you :)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

You only need to go a few miles inland and, provided you stay well away from main tourist hotspots such as St Paul and Vence, it is easy to find peace and quiet. Even places such as Peille and Peillon, both on the tourist map, are usually very quiet. We once spent two hours in Peille in July and saw only perhaps ten other people. It is only necessary to go a little further to find what the French call 'La France Profound', with places where life has changed little in several hundred years, except that almost the entire population has moved to rather more lively places such as Nice or Paris. I once spent a day cycling from Barcelonette to Grasse and for long periods saw something like two cars and two pedestrians per hour. The places I passed through rarely have public transport so, if you are not a cyclist, you would need to hire a car.

In your situation I would suggest have a look at Le Bar sur Loup and Peillon, both of which have a bus service (lebarsurloup.fr & peille.fr) homeaway.co.uk has property in both. Finding someone who will let you rent or at least pay for less than seven days could be difficult.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
435 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

Agree with tplus' suggestion of St Etienne de Tinee. Camped there a couple of years ago in July and it was not crowded by any means. Isola might also fit the bill.

Alternatively, there is St Martin Vesubie - a bit more touristy than St Etienne but with more to do, I suspect. You could also then get a shuttle bus up to Madone de Fenestre, which is a mountain refuge with dormitory style accommodation but with great scenery.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3/4 nights outside Nice

You should note that Peille, Peillon, Saorge and Tende are all on the same train line. LondonBob is right about the summer - in fact you probably only have go around 100 metres from the beach to find 'La France Profond' - apart from the beach the place is deserted. Most tourists who only come for the sun are totally unaware of the fantastic scenery inland. Even St Paul de Vence and Eze which are magnets for tour buses from cruise ships are delightful in the evenings when the day trippers have gone.

Ed