We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Agoustin Station

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
281 reviews
Save Topic
St. Agoustin Station

Try and avoid this Station at all costs...take the 99 Bus to Nice Central Station or the Airport.

A passenger on our train yesterday was pick pocketed yesterday at St. Agoustin. We too felt threatened waiting the only time we visted.

Keep away!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Agoustin Station

Travelers are most vulnerable to thieves when they arrive after a long flight and are managing baggage. Pickpockets know this and often work train stations that are closest to an airport, and this happens throughout Europe and on other continents. This is not just an occurrence in Nice.

After a similar experience, taxi fares don't seem like a frivolous expense to us, but travelers should also consider these express buses that leave from the Nice airport:

98: Nice towards the old town and Rue d'Anglais

99: Nice Ville train station (mentioned earlier)

110: Monte Carlo and Menton

210: Cannes

250: Antibes and Juan Les Pins

There is also a local bus, 23, that has stops near the airport.

These routes can be viewed on Lignes d'Azur:

...and this airport link:

Routes to other destinations can be determined on this link:

Here's where travelers can view estimated taxi fares:

Peresfield, you've made duplicate posts on this topic and that sometimes happens when you back out from a post and think the link didn't take. To avoid confusion, it's best to remove the other posts, and you can do that under "Report in appropriate post" and "Remove my post."

Edited: 15 February 2014, 17:46
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Agoustin Station

For the Express buses that don't appear on the Lignes d'Azur link, look at CG06

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Agoustin Station

I agree Nice St Augustin station makes you feel a bit uneasy especially as it is unmanned over a long lunch hour and the ticket office closes early. However pickpockets operate by distraction and thrive in crowds and hustle - there is no reason to expect violence - and while I won't go into how you can lessen your chances of being a victim here - by and large common sense methods will protect you. Troggs is however correct in saying that stepping off a flight leaves you with your guard down.

There are good bus alternatives to Nice and elsewhere and at night rather than take the rather deserted and lonely walk to this station when the buses have finished I would take a taxi.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Agoustin Station

Having fallen victim to pickpockets twice on the Riviera I count myself an "expert" on this crime. It's unusual to notice being pickpocketted - usually you are elsewhere when you come to notice your wallet is missing (in my case at the Cafe de Paris, Monaco!) Pickpockets operate in crowds and It is not easy to pickpocket someone on a pretty empty station. St Augustin is a bit of a creepy place, but that is a different matter.

Pickpockets and sneak thieves go anywhere there are tourists with purses or wallets bulging with a few weeks spending money. It's a magnet. The solution is not to avoid anywhere, but to adopt premptive tactics to protect your valuables. Thieves are very skilled, but some people make it just too easy for them. I see men with wallets sticking out of the back pocket of their jeans, women with handbags open, bursting to the seams with phones and purses.

I advise more secure methods of carrying valuables,which are effective even when disracted or off guard. . For me there won't be a third time.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 17:40
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Agoustin Station

Sometimes, you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but most of the time, you can make yourself a less attractive target. Think like a thief. If you were a thief, would you go to a station that is near an airport where people arrive after long flights, are laden with luggage, carry their passports and have probably visited an ATM or at least, carrying more cash than they would need for a single day? I would...and that's why I don't think it's a good idea to walk outside an airport to a transportation hub. Nice has a bus station in the airport, and if I wasn't going to take a taxi, I'd choose a bus from that facility. For international travelers, in particular, that's become my best advice. Trim your travel budget somewhere else.

Prefersfield, your post serves as a reminder that travelers need to weigh their options and risks when deciding how they will travel from an airport...and again, this risk is present at most international airports.

6. Re: St. Agoustin Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question