We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat rental questions

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Boat rental questions

Hello,

We would like to rent a small motor boat and take it out for an afternoon. Can we go into marinas in any other towns near by and stop for lunch or to look around. How do you go about doing that? I have read that we'd need to go to Villefranche Sur Mer to rent the boat (we're staying in Nice).

Thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,124 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat rental questions

Dark Pelican in VIllefranche rents small boats that you don't need an ICC for. It's about 100 euros for a half a day.

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat rental questions

Thank you! And what about docking in other town's marinas? My husband does have his boating license.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,124 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat rental questions

Bring a professional French translation of your Ontario boating license, but you will still likely need an ICC. It's the French.....they regulate everything.

You can go around the point from Villefranche to Cap Ferrat or Beaulieu sur Mer. It will be a small, slow boat. You won't want to go far......

The wake of a 100 metre yacht will have you bobbing like a cork.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat rental questions

In Antibes there is:

www.antibes-bateaux.com/accueil…

and there are several in the Cannes/La Napoule ports. Search Google for "location bateaux" and the place.

The rental agencies will tell you what you can legaly drive with your license, regulations are different for each country. With my German license I am allowed to command an aircraft-carrier (not that I would try to). I never needed a translation as its bilingual (German/English) anyway.

In Antibes they rent up to 320 hp without skipper but for an afternoon an open 50 hp boat will be fine. The Cote d'Azur is not good for boating as (in summer) you are normally not allowed to approach the coast closer than a few hundred meters. The nice spots where you allowed to moor near the coast like Garoupe or between the Isles Lerins are always crowded. But anyway, an afternoon can be fun...

Edited: 20 February 2014, 10:59
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat rental questions

Just curious, I have a Permis Mer Hauturier (and Permis Fluvial) but what is an ICC?

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat rental questions

I have rented from Dark Pelican on a number of occasions

I do have an ICC so have been able to rent a decent sized boat travelling to Menton in the East and Cannes in the west

most marinas will not charge you for a couple of hours and will have space for the 7/8 metres that you might hire

so I have docked in Villefranche, Marina Baie des Anges, Menton , Juan Les Pins ans Perre Canto in Cannes. There is a decent restaurant at Piere canto and a small beach adjoining; favourite is Paloma beach on Cap Ferrat -anchor and phone the number on the building- they will pick you up in their rib-good restarant and bar but make sure your anchor is properly set -this can be a lee shore on a windy afternoon and I did need to rush out and reset on one visit

as tplus says accesss to beaches is limited but there are virtually no offshore hazards so you can anchor close in to a number of small coves between Nice and Monaco for a swim or to reach small beaches

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat rental questions

ICC...

…wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Certificat…

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat rental questions

Thanks PA, I have never heard anyone in France mention anything about an ICC. I´ll check into this if I ever venture outside of France in a boat.

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat rental questions

Two points

1. a Canadian licence may well be recognised; simple - send a copy to the hirer to check it out

2. I believe an ICC can be issued to citizens of the US and Canada but do not know the procedure

French residents have their own national requirements; it is only non French who require an ICC

If you want to spend months on the issue consider this- you do not need a licence in the UK and since the general rule is that each EU country follows the persons resident laws it follows that no ICC is required for a UK national to rent a boat in France...........................but no one will rent you one unless you have it

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat rental questions

Extremely helpful information! Many thanks!