I'm sure this has been talked about before, so if you could humor me I would appreciate it.
My soon to be wife and I are coming over to Europe for our honeymoon, unexpectedly, due to being asked to be the best man in my friends wedding on August 17th in Scotland. I am thrilled but having to plan a honeymoon on short notice in a place you don't know if kinda tough ;)
We are in our mid 20's and will be flying into London on the 12th, spending a couple days there, then Scotland for couple days, then Paris for a couple days, then we thought we'd leave fro Paris on the morning of the 21st of August and head to Nice. The reason being we really wanted someplace that we could go hang out at a great beach area, relax like crazy and have a great time doing some eating, seeing sites and really enjoying ourselves before we have to head back to London on the night of the 25th to leave on the 26th for the US.
So the questions I have are this:
1. I have seen some recommendations and trying to read through posts on this board and reviews, but for people who are NOT looking to spend a ton of dough (since we are paying for this honeymoon ourselves) but want to really enjoy ourselves, where should we look at staying?
We are flying into Nice around 12:00 on the 21st. I have read the beaches are not true beaches in Nice with sand and whatnot, so didn't know if the areas that have beaches are worth staying at more than Nice itself or if we should just suck it up that the beaches are pebbles, because Nice is such a great place to stay. I am planning this honeymoon for the both of us so I am trying to surprise her with little things her and there to make it great, so finding a good place to stay with an ocean view would be awesome.
2. I'm not going to ask again about things to do with in Nice because I have seen lists about that and I will try to find stuff to do.
3. Regarding eating, I have read some posts about this, but knowing what I have mentioned before, what are some great places to eat at and what are some places to stay away from. We definitely wouldn't mind catching a train or bus somewhere to grab something to eat or find something to do...so we aren't limited to just the area we would be staying in.
4. Weather - What type of clothing should we bring for the dates of August 21st - 25th? I know everyone has their own style but what is traditional to wear or not wear? What should we definitely bring?
5. We are not leaving out of Nice till 12:20 on the 25th to give us extra time to enjoy, so will our place we will be staying be happy to hold our luggage for us?
6. How should we pay for things to get the most bang for our buck? Should we use credit cards, get cash while over there, travelers cheques? I have hard that cards are the best way to go in regards to getting cash advances at ATM's over there. I have also heard about some places charging you in pounds versus euro's on your cards which of course cost's us more.
7. We really wanted to check out a vineyard for a day, do the whole tour thing and drinking thing...is there anywhere nearby that is a good worthwhile vineyard?
8. Like I said before, I would really like to surprise my girl with some relaxation time and little things, so I was thinking things like hang gliding, hot air balloon, micro light...just some different stuff that would be fun and memorable. She is a huge sailor and I would LOVE to find a place that would take us out for the day or night, kinda like a day cruise on a great sailboat or catamaran and just take us around the area and maybe even surprise her with some dinner at a local port or on board.
I know I'm asking tons of questions but I really want to make this great. We don't have tons of money, so I have been saving up all I can in order to have a great time. Europe is so expensive hahaha.
Thank you in advance and I'm sure I will have more questions for later.