We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

Melbourne...
8 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

I will be arriving at Nice airport on a Saturday afternoon, and would like some advice on the best way to get from Nice airport to Villefranche sur mer.

I will be staying at the Hotel Provencal 4 Avenue Du Marechal Joffre. This is just off the Princess de Monaco / Prince Albert 1st main route.

Any recent experiences and suggestions you may have to share , will be most appreciated - It is a very very long flight from Australia to Nice and getting as easily and quickly as possible from the airport to my hotel will be a major priority. Thanks

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

The best way to travel is by taxi, especially following a long flight and managing baggage:

…aeroport.fr/Passengers/…Taxis

It is possible to travel by train from the Nice St. Augustin station, but the station is not in the airport and getting there with bags isn't simple. This is also a station where travelers are vulnerable to pickpockets as thieves know that this is a place where long distance travelers arrive tired and are distracted managing their bags. Your wits won't be their sharpest at this point, and taxi fares aren't the indulgence they may be at other times in your trip.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

Or book a limousine service in advance which can even be cheaper than a cab.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

Taxi will cost around 65 euro and take around 20/30 minutes depending on traffic. Train from St Augustin station 2.60 euro. However, you need to walk or get a bus to St Augustin and there is a 10 minute up hill walk at the other end. The third way of getting there is bus 98 to Nice and bus 81 or 100, either of which will drop you close to the Provencal. After such a long trip I would get a taxi.

Melbourne...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

Hi Bob.... its only a week now before I am landing in Nice airport from Australia, via Dubai.

I appreciated your advice regarding the bus or the taxi.

I will have one suitcase and one carry on bag (staying for a month in VSM) Do you still think the bus would not be ok? I dont think i will be so wrecked and tired that i couldnt manage a bus. what do you think?

some current advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am staying at the Hotel Provencal

thanks

Ian

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

Hello Ian,

Yes, provided you are reasonably healthy the bus will be OK. I assume you arrive at Terminal 1? If so turn left after customs, keep going through the terminal and stop for bus 98 is straight in front of you. You can buy your ticket on the bus, 6 euro, but it is better to get it from the ticket office on the left as you can also get some 10 trip tickets, cost 10 euro, which are not usually available from the driver. Might be an idea to get a few of these if you are there for a month.

The only tricky bit is the bus change in Nice. Recently they have moved the stops slightly from time to time in order to keep the tourists on their toes. Get off at stop Promenade Des Arts, which is where you can also get on the 81 & 100 to Villefranche but a week or two ago the 81, usually less crammed, was leaving from a temporary stop some distance away. It will be busy and, as the locals don't queue, you need to stand your ground when they try to sweep you aside. (In my travels the only place I have been where they do queue that has never been a British colony, is Japan. We have even been forced aside by Swiss nuns!). In about 10 minutes you will arrive at stop Octroi. Walk in the direction of the bus and at the traffic lights cross the road to the bakery, turn the corner and you will see the hotel 30 yards or so away.

My daughter and her family are in Villefranche at the moment with the very mixed blessing of a car.

Have fun,

Bob

Melbourne...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

dear Bob

you are an absolute gentleman, i appreciate your thoughtful response, ...so helpful

thanks heaps,

I will have a drink and toast to you , once that bus arrives and I am settled in and have my feet up at my hotel room

cheers

Ian

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

You are welcome. By the way, when you are there have a look at the Darse Hotel and see how you think it compares.

8. Re: Travelling from Nice Airport to Villefranche sur mer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:16