We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late night transport for airport

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Late night transport for airport

We are three " senior " ladies arriving on 5th May to rent an apartment on Ave des Bosquest about 2.5 miles from the airport but our flight doesn't land until 21.30. Has anybody any recommendations as regards transport as we have been told all sorts of horror stories about being ripped off by taxis

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from US$103.20*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from US$131.80*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late night transport for airport

Where on ave de Bosquets? Unless its right by the main road ,

its an uphill walk , you have to go through an underpass, it will be dark, you don't know the area , my advice is to take a taxi,

Ignore the horror stories, they are rare in Nice except for idiots that a do not know their actual address [its amazing how many folk i have met wandering around who have no idea where they are staying or who have mixed up similar addresses/hotel names] b] use one of the rare non-legal fly by night cabs who solicit business inside the airport halls.

Genuine Taxis wont rip you off if you take a real taxi from the rank. They do not come into the halls and offer their services . They pay 450 thousand euros for their licence they do not want to jeaopardise that investment.

Most confusion as far as taxi fares are concerned is due to the fact that on arrival at the destination extras that the taxis are legally obliged to add are added to the amount on the meter - for baggage, pick up from airport, port station, 4th person etc etc

Additionally, if you call a taxi it is obliged to start the meter when the fare is accepted- wherever that is -so there will be an amount already on the meter.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 10:59
UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late night transport for airport

Thank you for response which is just what I needed, I won't get the full address until nearer the time but the fact that you have told me that it is uphill & there is an underpass has made my mind up for me.Good as well to be reassured that taxis are trustworthy & I may well look into pre booking from here.

Many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late night transport for airport

Sorry to have to raise this again but I m having problems finding the apartment. I now have the full address, 4 Av des Bosquets & I am trying to book transport. The best quote is from Travel Republic but they want the address of the nearest hotel. Having emailed the owner I have been told that it is the Radisson or Hotel Azul but on the interactive map they don't look very close. ( she also is now concerned that we don't want to have the apartment & are looking for a hotel instead), Language problem!!

Also different maps are giving me conflicting information. One map shows the address to be off ave Pasteurelle but it is a motorcycle shop & another map shows no.4 to be off Av de la Californie close to the underpass.The whole thing is becoming a nightmare & I'm thinking that perhaps we should have stuck to Warners Holidays. Would be grateful if you could help.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late night transport for airport

4 ave des Bosquests is a block containing a bank and motorbike driving school as well as apartments, right on corner of avenue de californie. So it is in a much better position than previously feared as the otehr end would be a fair trek.

Closest hotels are Hotel Azur . a bit closer to airport and Radisson blu ,a bit closer to Nice centre

Closest normal bus stop is vallon barla [on ave de californie]

How much are you bieng quoted for transport?

Edited: 31 March 2014, 18:09
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late night transport for airport

will you have checked in luggage or just carry on?

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late night transport for airport

Thank you. We only have carry on luggage & the quote is £56 return but of course the destination for all the quotes was Nice centre & our accommodation is much closer to the airport. But there doesn't seem to be a way around that. Do you think that getting a bus instead is a feasible option at that time of night for three old dames?

7. Re: Late night transport for airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:15