We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best car rental company?

Toronto
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Best car rental company?

Hi please let me know your opinion on which car rental company to use. We might rent out of downtown antibes so looking at maybe Hertz or Sixt. Any opinions? Saw some bad reviews on europcar, and not sure if I want to go with a broker like autoeurope. Is it safer to book through expedia or other broker or directly with car agency? Looking at early June for 3 days.

thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best car rental company?

Look at the autoeurope.com web site, but telephone to arrange a rental. Using autoeurope gets you very good service and someone to call in case of problems.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best car rental company?

Why not AutoEurope? It's the best deal around and the only company that has 24-hour free help if you need it. I've done 150+ rentals with them, all entirely satisfactory. Best customer service on the planet.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best car rental company?

AutoEurope is a broker based in the US, which will arrange for the best rental deal for you with one of the local companies, which may be Europcar or Hertz or Avis. They are all good up to the point when someone feels that something did not quite go their way, and then you hear horror stories. Just know that all of us rent cars through AuroEurope on regular basis and are happe we do, so try to fixate on us rather then on a few negative reviews.

Also, please bear in mind that Hertz France will charge a one-way drop-off fee. In other words, if you will pick up in Antibes and drop off in, say, Avignon there may be a charge. It is not a large charge, something to the effect of 50 Euro but still a charge. Sometimes, as happened with our last rental in France, even with the drop off fee it was still a better deal with Hertz then with the next rental agency. But, just so you know and do not come back to write a bad review :)

Call them! Do not just price on the web and, if you have a price secured from an agency directly, AutoEurope will likely match it or beat it. Yes, also ask for a Kemwel rate (sister company, sometimes better prices).

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best car rental company?

We have found Sixt to be very reliable and the staff at the central Nice location at any rate to be polite and helpful.

New York
Level Contributor
507 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best car rental company?

Avis is my all time favorite...

Hertz would be my 2nd choice

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best car rental company?

I deal directly with the rental companies. I never prepay, can always cancel without penalty. Never had a better deal from a broker. Sixt often has the best deals but use kayak.com to shop.

7. Re: Best car rental company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:15