We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip to Marseille from Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
One day trip to Marseille from Nice

Hello We are going to be in Nice for one week in May and want to visit a cousin who lives in a Nursing Accommodation,,

63, Route de Camoins,

Les Residenczs Du hameau Bt A

13011 Marseille France.

can anybody tell us best way to get to this place either by bus or train.

We need to know where we get off to be close to the Nursing accommodation.

Hope someone can help.

Regards Rita

Nice, France
Level Contributor
345 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

Hello Rita,

It'll be a combination of three means of transportation: train, tube and bus, so you may consider renting a car.

Plan your trip very well because you'll spend almost 4 hours each way (a little less than 3 hours in the train and almost one hour with the tube and bus).

Bus (n° 12 B - no service on May 1) and tube schedule:

http://www.rtm.fr/en

If you can, ask your cousin which is the nearest bus stop to her place: "Camoins Visitation" or "Les Accates", so you'll know where to get off.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 12:46
Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

Le pilote shows google street view of your route.

http://www.lepilote.com/ri/index.asp?rub_code=4&comDep=0&keywordsDep=gare+st+charles&pointArr=7950%24ROUTE+DES+CAMOINS%243%2413055%2463%242586&numArr=63&comArr=13055&keywordsArr=&laDate=30%2F03%2F2014&typeDate=68&lHeure=13&laMinute=45&critereRI=1&search=Search&clear=

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

Given those timings I really don't think you can do this without an overnight.

Ed

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

Thank you all for your responses could somebody tell us the worst thing that could go wrong if my husband hired a car.

Regards Rita

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

You could die in flames after a massive head-on collision and the car rental charges your card with the value of the car. However, this is not more likely than in your part of the world.

Given that this crash not happens (or later), you should plan the spectacular and scenic road from La Ciotat to Cassis into your route (and then maybe the Col de la Gineste to Marseille). It will take an hour longer than going autoroute directly, but its worth it, trust me with that. Expect breathtaking views down the cliffs. There are more scenic detours on the way, but that would certainly take too long.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

Suggest you rent your car the day before so you can get off really early. Driving on the wrong side of the car, on the wrong side of the road, and going around your first roundabout will be challenging. But by the time you get to the autoroute, you should be OK. You might need an International Drivers Permit. I use Mappy for directions - http://en.mappy.com

Edited: 01 April 2014, 06:00
Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

I would choose Google Maps as it will later guide you on a smartphone while on the road, too. There is also lots of real-time traffic data available.

8. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 16:39
Israel
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

This is probably off-topic here but Google Maps load maps over the Internet. It might be quite expensive if you pay for roaming (or you can buy a local pre-paid SIM card and put it in your smartphone).

I would prefer off-line maps (modern smartphones have enough memory to store them). In this case I would like to get real-time traffic information as well. I still do not know if such applications are available.

I will probably post a question about it once I did my homework.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 09:42
Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day trip to Marseille from Nice

With Google Maps you can (and should) pre-load at home the maps of the region and then there is much less data going over the wireless connection. For a trip Nice-Marseille and back I would estimate less than 1 MB. Cost depending on your data plan, of course.

There are several off-line navigators with real-time data, e. g. Navigon. They are not cheap and I find the Google data more up-to-date.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 09:52