We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shorts in restaurants

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shorts in restaurants

I got used to wearing shorts and T-shirts (maybe it is an Israeli thing). So I am thinking about wearing shorts and T-shirts in Cot d'Azure since the day temperature is 18-20.

I love good food too :)) so I would like to have a lunch in a casual but "real" restaurant (not luxury though). May I come to such a restaurant for a lunch in shorts ? Is it socially acceptable ? What do you think ? I certainly do not intend to violate the social norms they have there.

(I can replace my shorts with jeans for dinner but it would be difficult to do it in the middle of the day for lunch, I guess)

Edited: 11 April 2014, 17:44
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shorts in restaurants

for dinner, trousers are preferred unless you are in a touristy place -eg pizzeria in old town dining outside on terrace. Most men will have long or at least 3/4 trousers on for dinner.

Lunch , shorts are ok for somehwere folk would go for lunch from work except if everyone is in smart business suits , or unless you are going to somewhere upmarket, starred etc

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,586 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shorts in restaurants

I know why you're asking...

In my eyes airy cotton trousers are way more pleasant than rubbing naked legs on the furniture or bus-seats. And: there is "Aedes albopictus" who rightly punishes men exposing hairy legs.

The last time I wore shorts, I was still in the "Kindergarten".

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,696 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shorts in restaurants

Well, hold on here, guys.... the Hotel du Cap / Eden Roc in Antibes allows shorts at lunchtime - this is one of Europe's (World's ?) most prestigious hotels. This is how you dress if you come off your Megayacht.

The only place I know that demands ' business attire' is the Chevre d'Or in Eze. And who, on holiday, wants to dine with the kind of people you go to work with ?

Ed

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,586 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shorts in restaurants

Maritime surrounding is indeed different. But it's not a matter of "allowed". Even in casual restaurants you would feel uncomfortable with shorts. Eating with the tourists outside (= on the pavement) in the old town might be an exception as Selkie already mentioned.

But in fact I can only comment on dinner...

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shorts in restaurants

There are shorts and there are shorts. Husband (much older than our OP) regularly wears longer type of shorts with a Polo type of a shirt during the day, looking all swell and stylish, and no one takes him for a tourist because of his attire. He does not do T-shirts, at least not the ones with large prints in front or back, but maybe just one color with a small pocket or something. Yes, in the evening it is better to switch to pants or jeans (may be too bulky and warm). So, no, shorts is not an Israeli thing :)

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,696 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shorts in restaurants

tplus - I think this is a cultural thing...

>>>>Even in casual restaurants you would feel uncomfortable with shorts<<<<

Whenever I see very well-dressed people in a restaurant invariably they are German. I saw a family recently where even a little 6 year old boy had a natty little suit on.

And some of my German friends still wear full dinner dress on special occasions ( at home!).

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shorts in restaurants

If the weather is warm, smart shorts are perfectly acceptable in most restaurants even at dinner time and inside, although with aircon you may feel cold wearing shorts inside.

Some restaurants prefer men to wear shirts with collars rather than a plain t shirt ( polo shirts ok).

Smart casual is the normal requirement for most places, even those with Michelin stars

Some people including the elderly French usually dress up for Sunday lunch even when it is really hot outside, but most are more casually dressed.

Wear what you would feel comfortable in at home, but don't arrive looking like you have just come off the beach and thrown on a t shirt over your shorts

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,696 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shorts in restaurants

Anna-Roz... Mrs Loud-Glade, who can tell the nationality of anyone approaching at 1/4 mile according to their clothing , tells me longer shorts (especially of the chequered variety) plus Polo shirt (Ralph Lauren?) says 'American Tourist' in a very loud voice ;))

Ed

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shorts in restaurants

American men do not wear checkered shorts. Not since the madras era of the 70s. If they are wearing plaid or checks, they are Canadian.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,696 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shorts in restaurants

I am glad you have updated me, Janetravels, I will advise Mrs Loud-Glade accordingly. She has usually been given an unfair advantage in this matter by the little Maple Leaf flags that your Northern neighbours stitch on their clothing.

Ed