We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

port stop in Nice

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
port stop in Nice

Hello,

We are taking a cruise and one of the stops will be Villafranche from 1000-0800. We have done a lot of research on what do to and how to get places. I think the best thing would be to spend time in Nice and try to visit the eze village. However, getting to eze sounds pretty complicated and time consuming with buses running every 2 hours or so. Should I consider one of the tours provided by the cruise company to make to best of the day or is it not as complicated as it sounds.

Thank you!

Art and Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Segway Mobilboard Nice
Segway Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Liven Up
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Riviera Come True
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,438 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: port stop in Nice

Getting to Eze is worth it. I don't remember the details (others will advise) but I want to encourage you to go.

Also don't overlook Villefranche which is a very worthy destination, not just a port stop.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: port stop in Nice

It's quite easy. Eze is tiny.....so budget about 2 hours at most to spend there.

Look under "Top Questions" in the right hand column.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: port stop in Nice

There is currently one bus an hour between Eze village and Nice except sundays.

timetable for buses 82 and 112 here

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes_FR/ligne%2082%20(au%2004%2007%2011).pdf

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: port stop in Nice

We will be in Nice (not through a cruise though) and I stumbled across these port guides from a recommendation here on the forums. Lots of good info for travelling along the coast, especially when on a limited cruise stop.

Here is a copy of his guide for Villefranche:

tomsportguides.com/Villefranche-sur-Mer-06-2…

This one will contain the info for Eze

tomsportguides.com/Cannes-Nice-06-20-2012.pdf

Here's the general website in case other guides are of interest - there are many guides in numerous countries

http://www.tomsportguides.com/portguides.html

Edited: 24 April 2014, 01:58
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: port stop in Nice

Note that there are many things in the above guides that are vastly out of date[even at the supposed time of writing] , wrong or questionable advice

Edited: 24 April 2014, 12:17
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: port stop in Nice

Thank you very much

New York
Level Contributor
559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: port stop in Nice

I am asuming you ship will dock in Villefranche which is a Tender Port ( 10A-8P) however there are a lot of Tender Boats operating to get you to the Port Dock, so cue up to get on an early boat.

There is a bus up the hill that will take you to the Nice main bus station, I remember a drug store type shop where the bus stops.( be sure to have coin Euro)

There is always someone that will point you in the right direction.

You can check @ the Nice Bus station for service to EZE..my suggestion is to go to EZE 1st , then get back to Nice & spend leisure time. & perhaps time in Villefranche on your return towards the ship.

Keep in mind a lot of shops may close between 3-5 or 6P.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: port stop in Nice

Yes, good point with the Port guides, and I think there is a disclaimer in them. I would use them only as a guide to do further research. I'd expect things like schedules, costs, etc to be out of date. I think there is still valuable information such maps, pictures of where things are, links to where you can confirm info such as bus and train schedules, etc.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 16:06
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: port stop in Nice

Nice bus station no longer exists. From Villefranche I would get the train to Eze sur Mer, 2 stops and a few minutes, and then bus 83 from outside the station to Eze Village, 20 minutes. Then bus 82 or 112 to Nice, also 20 minutes. Get off at the Port and walk around the headland to the Promenade, then through the old town and to Place Garibaldi. Close by you can get bus 81 or 100 to Villefranche, 10 minutes, from stop Segurane. Print off a map of Nice so that you have some idea where you are going. All bus timetables can be seen at lignesdazur.com. For a total expenditure of less than 10 euro per person you will have a better day than people on the tours offered by the cruise companies. All bus fares are 1.5 euro paid to the driver.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: port stop in Nice

Ignore the comments made by Poster #7 about store opening hours.

Shops / stores close between noon and 3....not " 3-5 or 6P".

Unless it's a Sunday, stores are wide open for business between 3 to 5.

So....enjoy a leisurely lunch and charge back into shopping after 3.