We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

Hello Trip Advisor! I'm taking my fiance to the French Riviera in the summer 2015. By then, she will have graduated nursing school and we can start planning our wedding. I thought a trip would be a great way to congratulate her after a long and expensive year of school.

We'll be staying at the Hotel Welcome in Villefranche. Does anyone have any tips on great things to do in the area? We're there for 10 days and would absolutely appreciate your recommendations. Any and all are welcome. Thank you in advance for your time and effort!

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$104.80*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from US$133.80*
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

The best way to start is witha guidbook. The Michelin Green Guide to the Cote d'Azur is an excellent one. You have made a great hotel choice in the Welcome.

And VIllefranche is a lovely little village.

With 10 days you will be able to see a lot.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 01:19
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

Congratulations! What a lucky fiance!!

Yes, Michelin Green Guide is a great place to start.

So, 10 days in one spot then? ...just asking ;)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

When you get that guidebook, look up the Gorges du Verdon and the nearby town of Moustiers-Ste-Marie as two great places to visit while you are there (car needed). Or you can go to Nice (by car or train) and take the Pine Cone train/Train des Pignes through that general area. Best wishes!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

Thanks for the tip on the guide book. We have one but it's not as good so I thought to get some ideas out there.

We're spending 10 days and I thought to make our way to Nice, Eze, Monaco, Monte Carlo, Antibes, St. Paul de Vence. I think there are other towns in the hills too. If we feel adventurous, we might take the train into Marseille for a night or two. Some said Aix en Provence might be worth a trip.

Gorges du Verdon = Wow. This looks absolutely incredible!!!

Why haven't I heard of this place?? Just goes to show you, Trip Advisor always comes through. Have used it many times but first time posing something.

I need to fill up 10 days! Any one else have some great ideas?? I need to show my fiance I'm cultured and not addicted to sports! Just kidding. (but not really)

:o)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

You've got over a year to plan this.....Get the Green Guide....do some reading and it will all come together.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

You haven't been very specific regarding exactly when you will be in France, but if it will be in late July, you may want to consider taking a day or two to visit the wonderful lavender fields in Provence. They are well worth a visit, and Western Provence is not only stunning, but is also full of what many consider to be the best preserved Roman ruins in the world.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

Thanks again for the comments. We plan to be there June 1-10 so I think too early to see the lavender fields. But while in Marseille, I would like to visit Marseille and Cassis on day 1 and then Aix-en-Provence, Avignon and Pont du Gard if possible on day 2. Since we could be there for only 2 days, does anyone recommend that I hire a driver/vehicle or does public transport work well? Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

Kyle....just rent a car to do your touring in Western Provence.

Or you can do what you are interested in by bus / train.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

Aix, Avignon, and the Pont du Gard would be just a bit much for a single day. You might consider spending one night near Avignon to give yourselves time to do justice two those three sights.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking my fiance to the French Riviera! Woo hoo!

You would need two Green Guides, Provence and Cote d'Azur. When getting up early, Aix, Avignon and the Pont du Gard can be done in a day with a car. I once did Les Baux, Arles, Avignon and Pont du Gard in one day starting from Nice (with a motorcycle).