We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Help & Safety for 2 women.

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LONDON
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Help & Safety for 2 women.

Hello,

Would anyone be able to advice on the location of the following hotels.

Hotel Nice Excelsior**** - 19 Avenue Durante

Hotel Windsor - 11 Rue Dalpozzo

We are looking at staying 6 nights in Aug at the Excelsior, although have read lots of posts regarding safety in the area in which the hotel is located. I would be traveling with mum and would like to eat out of an evening or have a stroll somewhere after dinner. Would this be a good choice for us with lots of options for food/shops etc.. and then a safe area to walk back to the hotel 10pm /11pm. Or would the hotel Windsor be the better option. We are looking to venture each day to the the towns along the coast - Eze, Cannes etc..

This will be our first time in Nice and so would be grateful of any advice.

Many Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Help & Safety for 2 women.

Hotel Windsor is in a much much better location including being more central. Nice feels very safe including the old town, promenade and port. But, my husband and I stayed an a family run bb and the owners told us a dozen times to stay away from the train station area (where your proposed hotel is) at night. Ok in the day.

It may be fine but why chance it especially when your second option is more central and closer to parts of Nice you'll want to go to.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Help & Safety for 2 women.

Both hotels are central but the area around Hotel Windsor is a whole lot better than Excelsior. Despite a few improvements around the train station area, it is still sketchy IMO. Don't hesitate to check the hotel surroundings on Google Maps' street view.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Help & Safety for 2 women.

The area around the train station is safe - there are always loads of people around till at least midnight - eg

Families walking home from nights out or to and from station , street cleaners and dustbin lorries , night buses, trams running .

I've never seen any trouble there in years of walking home by myself [i am female] , neither have my kids . and neither have my elderly parents who have stayed around the station area every time they have visited us -and they are far from streetwise.

The area used to be considered a bad area about 15 years ago- many people have not updated, And frankly, it was never as bad as areas i have lived in the UK , even at its very worst.

4. Re: Hotel Help & Safety for 2 women.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:15