We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or bus from Genoa / Genova?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Train or bus from Genoa / Genova?

Hi folks, I'm flying into Genoa as it is much cheaper than flying into Nice. I've read a lot about the train connecting in Ventimiglia on these boards. What are people's thoughts regarding the train versus the idBus and Eurolines coaches that go direct from Genoa to Nice? I won't have too much luggage, but I will have been coming off a long trans-Atlantic flight. Is one more scenic or faster? I will be travelling mid June and would be travelling in the afternoon - I have heard the summer traffic in and around Nice can be fierce.

Thanks!!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,733 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or bus from Genoa / Genova?

The Eurolines bus is useless - it's once a day and arrives at utterly anti-social hours.

The idbus is certainly a possibility - but there's only one afternoon bus for you, at 15.00. It takes three hours to Nice airport, from where you'd have to travel back into the city on another bus.

Trains offer much more flexibility so you wouldn't be agonising about making a connection, with Intercity trains at 16.55 and 18.55 taking two hours 9 minutes to Ventimiglia, and several slower but cheaper Regional trains before, between and after these, taking from two hours 38. You then have a further 50 minutes ride on a French train to Nice.

You also have to get from Genoa airport to Genova Piazza Principe train station in Piazza Acquaverde, both for the train and the Idbus. By public transport, use the Volabus www.airport.genova.it/v2/index.php…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or bus from Genoa / Genova?

thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or bus from Genoa / Genova?

Have a follow up question on taking the train from Genova airport. How long does it take to get off the plane and out of the airport? i'm on a flight that arrives at 11.50am. the IC and regional train options are not very convenient - if i miss the 1pm trains, the next (much slower) train is not until 2.30pm.

what are the chances that i could catch a 12.55pm IC train if i have hand luggage and take a taxi to the train station? if i dont have enough time to try to catch a 12.55pm IC train, what about taking a taxi to genova voltri and catching a regional train?

is there an option to buy the ticket on the train? i'm expecting that time will be tight and i might not have enough time to buy a ticket at the station.

thank you!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,733 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or bus from Genoa / Genova?

How long is a piece of string!

There is no option to buy a ticket on the train. If you don't have a chip-and-pin card, buy with Euro bills from multilingual machines which give change, to avoid lines at booking offices. Beware 'helpers' at Ge PP machines.

Taxi to Genova Piazza Principe should take around 20 minutes. The tracks are a fair walk from the booking hall - maybe allow five minutes for that.

Taxi to Genova Sestri Ponente Aeroporto for the Regional train at 13.15 will take five minutes - but be prepared for a very unhappy taxi driver.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or bus from Genoa / Genova?

Thanks so much for the advice. Genova Sestri Ponente was a great recommendation given my arrival time - I made the train connection! As you said, the driver was not happy about the short distance. After haggling, I paid 15 euro to travel less than 2km (he asked for 20 euro)! The important thing is, I caught my train.

6. Re: Train or bus from Genoa / Genova?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 07:16