We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking in public - open container laws?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drinking in public - open container laws?

Does anyone know what, if any, open container laws there are in Nice? Could I be sitting on a park bench and pull out a bottle of wine? Or is drinking in public only allowed/accepted in certain areas? I don't plan on abusing alcohol while I'm there, I just want to feel safe and within laws if I were to open a bottle of wine or beer and start drinking in public...

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from US$103.20*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from US$131.80*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drinking in public - open container laws?

It is not a need, it is an obligation for all towns with more than 5,000 inhabitants.

( Loi Besson - July 5, 2000 )

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drinking in public - open container laws?

La Mediterranee's post cites an Order by Nice's City Council of last October/13 which empowers police to enforce law against drinking in GARDENS and PARKS including the Promenade du Paillon whose construction was completed last October. I walk 1-2 hours a day around Nice. I’ve not seen in 20 months anybody being stopped anywhere for drinking in public from their own bottles which Nice had already restricted with its ‘8pm-5am’ prohibition in certain places in about June, 2012. I’ve not heard or read that the latter ban has been lifted. It may be, instead, one of the laws which the Order of October/13 provided the police with power to enforce.

13. Re: Drinking in public - open container laws?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17