We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

Toronto
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

Do they have free maps at the nice airport or tourist office, will be staying in antibes don't know if there is a tourist office there as well as the hours they are open. I don't want to bring a ton of travel books with me. Also do I need to find out how to get to these places or will the hotel/ train stations be helpful. I am a little tired of doing research. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,111 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

"I am a little tired of doing research. "

So,we're supposed to do it for you?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

There is a tourism office in the baggage claim lobby at the airport, but I wouldn't wait until then to plan your trip.

It can be overwhelming to start planning a trip, but you will have to do some research before we can help you. This post might help you sort through how to get your best response. Otherwise we'll be all over the place and you will get minimal information that you can actually use:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187216-c206287/Frenc…

Public transportation is easy and inexpensive in the Côte d'Azur. Basically, trains run along the coast and buses will take you inland. There are also local bus routes along the coast, and we can help you sort through this when you have a better idea about what you want to do. It's usually best to divide your day trips as being on one side of Nice or the other and give yourself at least a day. In Nice. You can start by looking at these lists, and go to the destinations' TA home pages to see what appeals to you. Guidebooks don't work for everyone and you might find it more to your liking if you use web resources.

1) Cannes>Nice: Antibes, Juan les Pins, St. Paul de Vence, Vence, Cagnes sur Mer and Grasse.

2) Nice > Monte Carlo: Villefranche sur Mer, Beaulieu sur Mer/Cap Ferrat, Eze (Village), and Monte Carlo.

Hope this will help you feel not so "adrift." Your feeling overwhelmed is not uncommon, but dat is right that we aren't travel agents and don't plan trips. We can pick up your lead and share our personal experiences, and look forward the hearing back from you.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

I can't help with the maps, but there is a tourist office in Antibes. I walked past it last week:)

We stayed in Nice, and our hotels were very helpful and had maps there and were more than willing to help with directions, which buses/trains, etc.

Hope you have a great trip! Wish we were still there, lol!

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,262 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

Ever considered to actually buy a map? Free ones are stuffed with ads. But there are Google Maps or Open Street Maps or Bing Maps or IGN online-maps, which are indeed "free" (sort of).

You don't need a ton of travel books. But one guide book would be advisable (e. g. Michelin Green Guide). Sorry, not free.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

It can be overwhelming to try and get your head round any new area .

Guidebooks do not and cannot tell the whole story, are always out of date and often subject to journalistic licence, but are a good start. As has already been suggested one guidebook would be advisable .. Internet searches can be time consuming and non-productive but frustrating as it can be, personal research before you go pays dividends in the long run.

Which is why most people on the forums here are very happy to help you to help yourself, in a positive and productive way so that you get extra insight and knowledge that is not found easily elsewhere.

All the towns you mention have tourist offices and all of them will provide you with a complimentary map of their local area.

The streetmaps they provide are usually as good as any you can purchase, despite the necessary ads.

To get you started on the internet, here is a link to the official tourist office website for the whole French Riviera.

Click the "get informed" button for details opening times of all the tourist office and more

http://www.frenchriviera-tourism.com/lacote

The tourist office in Antibes is on the central square, Place de Gaulle.

Hope this helps to get you started and let us know if you need more help with specifics

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

Even though I have travelled to the French Riviera for over 40+ years, I still read, and read, and read so that I can work out what I want to see in the time I have there. There's always something new. I'm spending 2 weeks in Menton and 1 week in Cagnes-sur-Mer this summer and I'm still planning, after 12 months. It's your holiday and you are the one who has to put in the work. Then you can come back to TA for refinement, etc. The Michelin Green Guide is my favourite too.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

<I don't want to bring a ton of travel books with me>

Photocopy the pages of the books that cover the places you want to go to. Leave the books themselves at home.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,262 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

Oh, come on. A paperback is not a lot to carry and there are even "pocket"-guides. Also you could download them as ebooks to your smartphone. No excuses accepted. I know that there are folks who would rather burn the money than to spend it for something printed ("You can have all that stuff for free on the internet, can't you?").

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,139 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

The OP also appears too tired to come back and acknowledge the assistance she has got on other threads.

At a pinch, go to the travel section of your local library and read what they have there. If necessary photocopy a few relevant pages.

If the OP googles Tourist Office Antibes she will get lots of information on where to go to locate a tourist office including this www.antibesguide.com

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,475 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Free walking tour maps, eze, villefranche,nice, Cannes, etc

The 06 Alpes Maretimes Conseil General site also has a splendid selection of walking tours in the whole area from the coast up to the Alpine high country.

Edr