We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tal aviv
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
day trips from nice

Hi guys. I'm going to spend a few days in Nice with my husband/ we're planning to rent a car for a couple of days and drive around. I'd love to hear ideas for day trips in the area. I've been to Monaco in he past, and we're going to Cannes on another day, so I'd love some different ideas,

Israel
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from nice

First of all I should say it is usually recommended on this forum to get a copy of Michelin Green Guide.

Been there in April (Passover). I would suggest going a bit inland to Eze, St. Paul and Vence and maybe other perched villages. We also liked Monaco and Menton (but people on the forum would disagree), Villefranche and Cap Ferrat. Skipped Cannes that time.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 15:36
Israel
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from nice

You can also get some ideas about day trips from this post of Selkie

http://tinyurl.com/p5oqx2a

If I went to Cannes I would go to Ile st Honorat to see the monastery. Hope to do that next time.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 18:06
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from nice

Since you have a car you can explore the inland villages (Vence, St. Paul de Vence, sainte Agnes, mougins,)

On the coast (better by train) I strongly agree with Menton. Also look at Antibes and Juan les pins, and Villefranche sur Mer.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from nice

With a car, it's going to be easy for you to visit St. Paul de Vence (and the Foundation Maeght) > Vence (and the Matisse Chapel that is a walkable, but more easily, drivable distance from the city center) > Tourrettes sur Loup (and it's wonderful violet ice cream, fabulous olive wood shop, and the view from the back of the village). Search these towns on TA, and you will get a nice sampling of traveler and professional pictures.

I'd also encourage you to explore Cap Ferrat. Search the Villas Ephrussi and Kerylos, and park your car (probably in Beaulieu Sur Mer) and walk on the Promenade Maurice Rouvier. This is a walk along the Cap Ferrat coastline between Beaulieu and Port St. Jean, and IMO, it's worth it in both directions. Your views will be quite different. Better yet, take the train to Beaulieu sur Mer and you can walk on to Cap Ferrat, back towards Beaulieu sur Mer and to Villefranche sur Mer without worrying about parking. The promenade walk takes about 20-30 minutes (a bit more if you decide to "linger"), and the walk from Beaulieu to Villefranche is about the same. To get back to Nice, you can take the buses 100 or 81 or the train from either Beaulieu or Villefranche.

The 200 bus is a good way to travel between Cannes and Antibes and Antibes' sister town, Juan les Pins. There are local buses between Antibes and JLP ...or you can walk and do a little exploring on to Cap d'Antibes. Antibes is going to give you "old town," and Juan les Pins is where you will find ocean front dining. Cannes is all about ocean front dining, and you will find restaurants along La Croisette, on the beach level, around the harbor and up the hill to Le Suquet, Cannes' old town. When you are in Cannes, look into visiting the Iles des Lerins, Ste. Marguerite (with its fortress) and the abbey. These are separate boat trips, and you may need to decide between one or the other, especially if you are including Antibes/JLP when on this side of Nice. Again, search these locations' TA home pages and you will know what appeals most to you.

If any of this appeals, come back for the details. I'm with Doby47 in recommending train and bus travel along the coast and save your car for inland trips. Parking and traffic can be annoying along the coast, and it's best to group your outings on one side of Nice or the other.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1,828 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from nice

Don't forget about Grasse, the birthplace and capital of modern perfums.

6. Re: day trips from nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:17