We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy vintage posters?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney!
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy vintage posters?

2 years ago we were In ville franche & bought an amazing vintage poster from a couple selling them at the Saturday market. I was sure they said they had a shop in nice or Cannes?

We will be back the for a week & I'm determined to find them! Does anyone know of any poster shops in the area? These were all advertising & travel style - and most were painted on canvas rather than printed on paper - also also open to paper,print style!

Thanks

Slly

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

Market on Cours Saleya. There you get the usual prints.

In Vence there is a shop for genuine vintage ones. Mostly art but also travel. I loved a set of Air France posters out of the sixties. Was five figure...

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

The weekend flea market next to the old harbour in Cannes has several stalls that sell vintage style posters.

There are also several shops in Cannes , the one on rue Jean Jaures (the road where you exit the rail station) springs to mind. Turn left as you exit the rail station and it is beyond the Gambetta market square on the station side

3. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 11:05
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

Poster #3.

Read the Forum guidelines.

Go away.

You can't promote your nonsense "business" here.

Reported for solicitation.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

Some antiquarian book sellers on the east side of town specialize in authentic early posters. I never recall their names, sorry. What I like about the ones they carry is that they've not been reproduced anywhere, aren't sold by huge online poster websites and have a more intimate feel about them - not blaring. Original ones when large are priced in Nice, however, at 500 or 600 euro both downtown and in Cours Saleya. So, I don't have one. I don't bother to bargain on account of the high start price.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

Place du Palais de justice on the 4th saturday of the month is maybe the best place to buy ''ephemera'' - such as postcards, posters etc

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

I've seen them in many of the towns market days including Villefranche but was surprised how expensive they can be. Also there is a good variety of replica vintage posters on line at places like posters.com for much less money. Replicas look nice but you get what you pay for...

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

I used to hang framed copies of vintage posters in our former home in Canada because I wanted so much to live in the south of France or in Italy but couldn't. While decorating and furnishing our apartment here, the idea of hanging our posters again which we'd planned on doing eventually suddenly felt ridiculously kitsch when all we have to do now is open the shutters upon awakening and so save on curtains as well. In our new 'posters'', people and birds actually move; palm fronds tell us if it's windy; and flowers of bougainvillea, coral and jacaranda trees come and go. There are actually puddles and beetles we don't know in spring.

But when we later saw in a shop window in winter's twilight an original poster here on fragile paper complete with stains and decades, we changed our minds and were about to buy and hang it in the 'ideal' spot but our wallets refused to cooperate. The orange tree we instead bought cost 90% less. So goes it.

Our old reproductions served their purpose. They helped to put us here. Definitely worth buying.

Sydney!
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

thanks for all your help! i will be heading to cannes for some exploration i think! Yrs, the opne we bought last time (2012) was hughe, and an origional and did cost 400E. We were unsure of the cost at first but now we have it framed & hung at home it is one of our prized possesions - and we get so many comments on it too! just love it!

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy vintage posters?

So, when you happen to be in Vence...

www.franceantiq.fr/slam/fontaine/fr.asp