We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family road trip in southern france

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Family road trip in southern france

Hello all,

I'm planning a family trip (with two 20ish daughters) along southern France this July.

At the mo,

Nice 3 nights

St tropes 1 night

Provence or Avignon 2 nights

Annecy 1 night

Lausanne 1 nights

Interlanken 3 nights

Zurich 2 nights

We will get a car before we leave Nice.

Any suggestions to the distribution of time at each destination?

Also, any "must-see" sights at each place that is not overly touristy?

Many thanks in advance!

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family road trip in southern france

seems quite nice - from Nice a daytrip inland ?

La colle sur loup, saint-paul de vence or Monaco ? enjoy !

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family road trip in southern france

If you rent a car in Nice and drop it in Switzerland, you'll pay a king's ransom.

I think you're shortchanging inland Provence, especially when you're spending 2 nights in Zürich, which I would consider vacation purgatory.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family road trip in southern france

I would recommend: When in Nice - Eze Village, Villefranche, Cap Ferrat, Peille. When in Interlaken - Grindelwald & Murren (no access by car). If weather is good you might consider adding Zermatt, mainly for the view of the Matterhorn. Might be worth enquiring how much you might save by dropping the car at Geneva on the French side of the border. I much prefer Lucerne or Berne to Zurich.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family road trip in southern france

LondonBob's view of Switzerland seems very similar to mine. The only place I would add is Lugano. And drop Zurich. Ditto St Tropez in the south of France.

Ed

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family road trip in southern france

I know nothing about Switzerland and indeed advice on dropping the cr in france is sound, but I would keep St Trop - clearly worht to see for several reasons

- very beautiful vilalge

- some good restaurants (not necessaraily so expensive - go to 'La Ponche' for example or if you have the budget, go to 'L'Escale' on the port.

- lots of shops

- lots of 'special' people.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family road trip in southern france

Don't forget that with a French hire car you will almost certainly have to buy a Swiss autoroute vignette for travelling around Switzerland. You don't need one to drive on ordinary roads there but it is very difficult to drive any distance without using an autoroute, at least briefly, and, surprise, surprise, the Swiss police know where the "pinch" points are and concentrate there enforcement action there.

Reiterate the advice that has already been given to plan the final stage of your trip to drop the French hire car in France. If you leave it in Switzerland, it is useless to the Hire Company there and repatriating it to France costs them a small fortune - which they will make you pay.

Unless you are particularly fond of driving in traffic jams, I, too, would advise forgetting a visit to St Tropez. Indeed, I would avoid the coast road altogether, and you might find that the dates of your holiday clash with the festival in Avignon, something else to avoid.

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family road trip in southern france

we are now probably extending the trip by a few days, going to Paris for 5 days after Zurich (driving there)

in that case would it be better?

thanks!

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family road trip in southern france

Can I just say for the Provence part of the trip that you may have difficulty at this time in securing accomodation in the region especially if it is late July - peak season.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family road trip in southern france

My advise: St. Tropez for the beaches but avoid the restaurants there (or pay $$$$). Stay in Grindelwald instead of Interlaken, 3 nights only when hiking, otherwise 2 (Jungfraujoch). Zurich is not bad, but 1 night is enough. Add 1 night Lucerne.

Some should check the rental fees before they are posting. At Sixt, two weeks of BMW 1 series cost you:

Nice - Zurich: € 960

Nice - Paris: € 660

Sure, more, but still "reasonable".

10. Re: Family road trip in southern france

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17