We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessing train to Ventimiglia

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
417 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Accessing train to Ventimiglia

We will be catching an early train to Ventimiglia on a Tuesday morning; could someone please confirm is the station we need to catch this train from called Gare de Nice?

Also would we be advised to stay in a hotel within walking distance to the station or is it fairly easy to get through traffic in a taxi around 7.30-8am on a Tuesday morning?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessing train to Ventimiglia

Personally , I would pick somewhewre within walking distance or near tramline rather than having an extra taxi fare

The main station is Gare de Nice ville [also known as gare Thiers] , you could also go from Nice Riquier, if your hotel is closer to there

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessing train to Ventimiglia

Hi- I just got back from Ventimiglia and Nice etc, but I took the train from Cannes to Ventimiglia because I was there first; then took the train from V to Menton. You will enjoy it. Make sure you visit the cute old town about 15 minutes from Ventimiglia (by bus 1.50E ; or taxi about 20E) called Dolceaqua. There is a really very old town to visit and surprisingly great restaurants

Assuming you want to visit Nice and not just sleep there in order to grab the train, I would counsel you to pick a place that you will enjoy, and I find the train station areas (especially riquier) among the least charming of Nice. Look at near the Old Town, the promenade, Massena, or Musiciens.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,917 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessing train to Ventimiglia

If heading for Genoa or Milan, you would be well-advised to take a train 30 minutes earlier than necessary - losing 30 minutes at the beginning of your journey is a lot better than losing two hours on Ventimiglia station because you have missed your Italian train because of a late-running French train,

Of course the French train could well be on time - but there's also a significant risk it might not be.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessing train to Ventimiglia

Yes use Gare Their otherwise known as Nice Ville. Taxis are iffy. Stay near the train station or near the tram line which runs every 8 minutes in the morning, stops at the train station, and costs 1.5 Euro. Very easy to do and lots of trains headed to Ventimiglia. Trains will be full as many commuters head to Monaco. If you buy your train ticket at one of the blue kiosks you need a credit card with micro chip, otherwise stand in line at one of the ticket windows. Might be wise to get a ticket the day before for the day of your trip

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accessing train to Ventimiglia

Rifie why do you say it has to be the main Nice station? I am pretty sure Nice riquier works as well-or any on the Cannes-Ventimiglia line. it should be the one closest to where OP is

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
417 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accessing train to Ventimiglia

Thank you all. It looks like staying within walking distance to the station might be the most stress free option for us. We haven't booked yet but at least I can narrow it down to the area I should look at accommodation in now. Thank you.

7. Re: Accessing train to Ventimiglia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:17