We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

We are off to a work sponsored trip to Barcelona August 6th-10th and have an opportunity to book a trip on our way there.

We have narrowed it down to the Monaco area and would love your help and opinion!

We generally like to see more "local" spots and not do as the tourist does - we like the local flavor, restaurants, culture, special hotels and doing special things!

With that said, I have two close friends that have mentioned Eve, Cap D'Ail and Juan Les Pins as not-as-known places I should absolutely visit.

We are looking for nice hotels - since work is paying for the rest we luckily have money to spend on great hotels and food. This trip is planned for July 31st-August 6th. We will be looking to fly into a close airport (recommendations please! Nice?) and rent a car (are we crazy to do that in August) and then will have to get to Barcelona August 6th.

So if you could please offer your opinions on where we should stay and cities we should visit - transportation to and from and anything else you can help with.

THANK YOU!!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

The posters who say everywhere is full of tourists are quite right ( this probably applies to the whole Mediterranean coast of Europe in July/August). This especially applies to Monaco and Juan les Pins - where I have actually had to queue to get a spot on the beach ). Eze, like the other popular village St Paul de Vence, is a magnet for day trippers but very quiet at night.

However you can always find quiet places if you get up early , walk a bit. Around the Cap d'Antibes is one of these. Don't tell everybody. There are some nice hotels there. Also tourists always congregate on the coast and you can travel a few miles inland to deserted and absolutely beautiful hill villages - there are around 70 within an hour or Nice.

tplus is optimistic on the question of parking but coming from Vence (a nice and largely unvisited 'big village' inland ) has probably not tried to park in Juan les Pins or Villefranche on a summer afternoon.

Ed

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

Well, I did. Before I found my "special" beaches I sometimes drove to JLP where I usually took Parking Dulys. But that was probably more frequently off-season. For Villefranche I have my "very special" parking but I must admit that I never need it before 8 pm.

But you are right, JLP and Villefranche are certainly the most difficult places to park due to the lack of multi-storey parkings. That said I will still find easier a parking than a place large enough for a towel at the beach in JLP in high-season ;)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

I find it is not impossible to find a hotel late, but your choices of hotel and of room type become limited.

I booked months ago for my june trip and it was tricky to find my first choice hotel or my first choice room (balcony , and or sea views etc) in several cases.

In Dolceacqua the one room with balcony in the bb we stayed in was gone. In Menton I wanted to try a bb in the old town which was all booked....

Nevertheless we had a great time and didn't end up sleeping on the beach!

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

All right, finding a balcony-room in Dolceacqua is certainly more difficult than to find a nice one in Nice with a $400 budget.

There are nice "agritourismi" to be found around Dolceacqua...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

With every trip I go on I realize it is better to book earlier. And we didn't have a car for this trip which limits choices in Dolceacqua.

I think advising an OP who wants to go to the riviera in August to book ASAP is solid advice. We are going to Greece end of August and more places were filling up in March!

I remember the days before internet and hotel booking apps. We'd take a ferry to a random Greek island, with no hotel booked, and Innkeepers were waiting on the dock. For 10 euro a night I was never disappointed!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

I've also found that when I have been unable to book online, I can often get a reservation when I call the hotel directly. This has usually happened in boutique, smaller hotels (like the Welcome in Villefranche) and when I'm booking shorter stays. In some cases, especially privately owned hotels, it seems like online bookings are limited to longer stays, maybe, 5-7 days. Chains like the Marriott or Hyatt are no problem.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

Welcome Hotel in Villefranche is still available, too.

Frequent travellers should consider getting a loyalty card from their preferred hotel chain. My Accor card guarantees a room when booking at least 48 h in advance, with the exception of some events like the GP Monaco.

But, as said, normally 20% of the rooms are available even on short notice. An exception: TA overhyped places.

18. Re: Starting to Plan 5-6 night trip, would love your help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 06:16