We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denver
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

I am traveling with my 2 adult age children from Nice, France to Poretta Terme, Italy. We depart after the music festival out of Milan. I am wonder what is the best way to get to Poretta. Right now I am considering flying from Nice to Milan and driving 2-3 hours to Poretta Terme, south of Bologna and north of Florence. One of my children could share the driving. In deciding, I must consider that I am buying 3 one way tickets: either air or train, and compare that to cost of a car rental which must be automatic as that is all we drive.

I could save a lot if I did not need a car in Poretta. I could stay in a more expensive local hotel close to where the festival is without a car. Or I have a cheaper hotel at 25 minutes out of the town (not convenient) where I would need the car. Prices are elevated near the dates of the festival. Any better/cheaper ideas of how to get to Poretta and arrange this trip?

1. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 11:13
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,262 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

Have you researched any of this?

Originating a car rental in France and dropping it in Italy will generate a whopping one way drop fee. Hundreds of euros....

Pretty sure that there are currently no direct flights from Nice to Milan.

The train from Nice to Milan takes about 5 hours with at least one change in Ventimiglia.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,482 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

There are no direct flights from Nice to Milan. Going by train to Milan, with one change at Ventimiglia, is therefore easier and much cheaper than by air. Trains from Milano Centrale to Bologna are very high speed and take one hour as opposed to at least three hours (with expensive fuel and tolls) by road, so it would be better to rent a car in Bologna.

Porretta (two 'r's) Terme does have its own train station, on the line from Bologna to Pistoia (it's actually much nearer Pistoia) so a car is not essential, For through train times from Ventimiglia see www.trenitaliai.com clicking the UK flag first for English. You should buy Ventimiglia-Bologna online - the cheapest fares are in advance, and are cheapest shortly after booking starts 120 days in advance. The Bologna-Porretta tickets should be bought in Italy, for cash from ticket machines to avoid lines - these are Regional trains with no reserved seats so cannot sell out.

An alternative route would be to fly direct from Nice to Venice by Easyjet (not every day) or Air France (rarely) and rent a car at the airport, or take trains from the nearby Venezia Mestre station.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,482 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

Trains from Nice to Ventimiglia take 50 minutes, are normally every 30 minutes, and cost €7.50 with no advance reductions and no reserved seats. Buy in Nice.

If you really do want to rent a car, you would be better off renting it nearer the border, e.g. in Alassio or Savona, and driving direct to Porretta Terme via Genoa and Pisa - by road the shortest route goes nowhere near Milan and Bologna. For estimated travel times and costs by car see www.viamichelin.com

Edited: 21 June 2014, 09:29
Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,375 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

I would go to San Remo, see the town, do some shopping, rent a car at AVIS, drive from there to Porretta, use it there and return it at the airport when you leave in Milan. Route takes approx. 4 hours. Will be around USD 750. Estimated road toll € 50.

But: I wonder if they can get you an automatic as this technologie is widely unknown in Italy.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 10:06
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,482 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

Avis at San Remo is certainly the nearest to the border, but is a very small agency and is a long way the other side of of the city centre from San Remo station. A taxi (or with light luggage the cross-town trolley bus) will certainly be needed to get there.

Hertz in Alassio is right at the train station, while Savona has most major agencies and is a bigger place - maybe more likely to get an automatic, and reportedly sometimes with cheaper rental prices than San Remo and Alassio.. .

Edited: 21 June 2014, 17:17
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

for completeness, there are also various coaches from Nice airport to Milan

http://booking.idbus.com/

http://www.eurolines.fr/

http://www.cmebus.com/portale/

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,375 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

...or he could fly Easyjet to Rome and take the rental car there. Might be - all in all - the fastest way to get there.

Second thought: Easyjet to Venice then rental car (as proposed by Periliza) should be faster...

Edited: 21 June 2014, 19:19
denver
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

Yes. 600 euros is a bad drop fee. Also learned renting in coastal town Italy and returning to Milan will necessitate a "Best Protection" insurance required by Italian law and the deductible is 2200 euros. I'm waiting to see if the quote can be confirmed of $220 for 3 days. No drop fee per Hertz. We'd take the frequently running train Nice - just past Ventimiglia.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,482 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice to Poretta Terme, Italy-car,air,rail?

If returning in central Milan on Mondays to Fridays, note the congestion charge payment - big fines if you don't pay/ Copy the following link to your browser for information: https://www.comune.milano.it/portale/wps/portal/CDM?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/contentlibrary/Elenco+Siti+tematici/Elenco+Siti+tematici/Area+C/English/

Edited: 22 June 2014, 08:12