We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Nice to Geneva

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Ridge, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
travel from Nice to Geneva

We're traveling from Nice to Geneva before heading back to the US this month. Is there a non stop TGV train? Is it a scenic trip- worth the additional 5+ hours traveling?

Direct flights from Swissair depart only twice daily, 7:15 or 19:00.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Nice to Geneva

There is usually one non-stop TGV service daily - it takes around 6 and a half hours.

The journey between Nice and Marseille is scenic

Have you checked easyJet who also fly the route ?

Glen Ridge, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Nice to Geneva

Thanks Sooz - just checked EasyJet and they have available flights at better times. You mentioned the journey from Nice to Marseilles is scenic. How about the journey to Geneva through the alps?

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,700 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Nice to Geneva

The Nice-Geneva train ride is LOVELY.

There's the Nice-Toulon section along the Cote d'Azur, past millionaires' villas, rocky headlands and bays, then past Marseille with a glimpse of the infamous Chateau d'If (think count of Monte Cristo).

You then go at high speed up the Rhone Valley - you can see the famous Palais des Papes in the distance on the right as you cross the Rhone on a massive high viaduct just after Avignon TGV station, though if you can see anyone dancing sur le pont d'Avignon you have beter eyesight than me.

You then head through the mountains via Bellegarde, over the impressive Cize-Bolozon Viaduct over the Ain gorge - lovely.

Take a bottle of red and a good book, sit back and enjoy the journey.

Or you could fly - I hear the inside of a plane is really really interesting...

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Nice to Geneva

How long does it take?

Edited: 11 July 2014, 15:06
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Nice to Geneva

The Nice-Geneva flight is lovely.

Book yourself a window seat on the right hand side (unfortunately an extra €4 on EasyJet), and skim just above the mountain tops, looking down on spectacular snowy peaks and deserted high alpine valleys. And coming into land, enjoy the aerial views down the length of lake Geneva and back to Mont Blanc which you'll have just had excellent close views of while flying past.

People pay a fortune to be taken up in a helicopter for this sort of experience. But unfortunately your €50 flight will only last an hour..

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Nice to Geneva

Back this. Although I do cross the alps in an airliner frequently I always go for window and - when visibility is good - I enjoy watching the alpine scenery from above as if it would be the first time. The peaks, the Mont Blanc, mountain river valleys, my favourite motorcycle routes, my common car route, the lakes... Last week I spotted one of my favoured italian restaurant from above...

Direction: Go for the far side from the sun, so for a northbound flight in the afternoon that would be the right hand side. Otherwise you'll only see bright haze.

With train rides I associate the scenery of run-down industrial estates and rough neighbourhoods along the tracks.

Maybe it's just me, but from 35000 ft altitude there's only beauty to behold.

Or clouds.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 00:18
7. Re: travel from Nice to Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:16