We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice scammer still on the prowl

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Nice scammer still on the prowl

We were in Nice last month. Walking home late in the evening after a long train journey and a big walk of the old town - very tired. We were approached by an old Swedish woman holding a tissue to her mouth. 'Do you speak English - I have been robbed'. She then told us a convoluted story about why she needed to borrow money until the morning. She would have been in her late 70s at least. I was skeptical over the story but couldn't understand why a clean, educated, elderly Swede would be walking the streets of Nice begging. My husband offered to accompany her to an embassy or the police. I should have paid more attention to the snaky look that came into her eyes. I gave her too many euros. On returning home I read a closed forum on tripadvisor and discovered she had been scamming like this since at least 2001!

Who is she and is she operating on her own or on behalf of someone else?

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

This scam is featured in one of Eric Rohmer's films, it might be Quatre Aventures de Reinette et Mirabelle. The woman scamming is the actress Marie Riviere, anyway!

Nice, France
Level Contributor
345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

She approached me 2 nights ago when I was getting home from work. I pretended to listen to her story (despite my urges to scream: "Liar, liar, pants on fire!" LOL) but I said I was unable to help her out with money.

Edited: 01 April 2015, 11:14
London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

same thing 2 weeks ago in Rue Meyerbeer

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

Oddly I have never seen the 'find the lady' scam in Nice, although it is in London daily with tourists handing over wads of cash for at least the last 50 years. Saw someone interviewed on TV recently who said he had made well over a million at this, rather better than the lost bus fare or the robbery scams.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

Ah then, just like the tourists seem to be arriving 3 weeks earlier this spring than in 2014, she is too. It's uncanny how every scammer gets the 'date of return' right when I haven't for 3 springs running.

She's harmless. Just say "No thank you" in English without breaking your step when you pass her. If you so much as stop for 2 seconds, you'll lose 8-10 minutes. She makes you curious. I want to know where she spends winter or does she just become invisible? If I asked her, she'd only lie since she has a story to stick to. What a way to have to live, even so.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

I have seen her on Ave Jean Medecin in January, so I think she has all year round work.

Katonah, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

Come on guys.

Maybe we're just cynical NewYorkers, but no matter where we travel, ESPECIALLY internationally, our antennae are up when we're approached by just about anyone. This is just common sense.

In more suspicious, somewhat renowned areas, we're on high alert, but that's not often. Just keep your eyes and ears open.

Edited: 02 April 2015, 16:53
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

There is a beggar gentleman with a very nice cat in Antibes. If you give a copper coin like 1 ,10 or 50 centimes the cat stays motionless. If you give a full euro the cat comes and licks you. I am still wondering how the cat knows the difference?

Ed

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

Ed,

I read that cats can distinguish light colours well but not dark ones. Maybe that man's cat sees nothing when he's shown brown coins so he has no reason to become animated. Where I used to live, some cabbies were much like that. They said they saw only bills as money. If you tried to tip them with a handful of coins, they'd refuse them saying you weren't offering them anything.

30. Re: Nice scammer still on the prowl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2016, 05:15