We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early November or New Years Eve?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Early November or New Years Eve?

We're comtemplating a trip to Nice for a week and we can go either around the first week of Nov. or we could travel after Christmas and spend NYE there. Between the two dates, is one month better than the other as far as weather, things to do, etc. We'll probably make a few side trips, too, while we're there. Have been to many places in France (we love Paris) but have never been to the southern area.

Thanks!

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from US$103.20*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from US$131.80*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
aberdeen
Level Contributor
493 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

Given the choice, I would opt for New Year - not because of weather but because I suspect that there are more things happening in Nice at New Year.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

That's what we thought as well but I'm having a hard time finding any info on New Years Eve festivities in Nice. :(

Vence, France
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

Go for early November. With some luck you can still have a swim in the sea. Nothing special going on here on NYE apart from the annual restaurant rip-off.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

Air prices are pretty stiff this New Years so, if you can do either, I would also go for early November.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

You should know that November is one of the rainiest months of the year. When it rains it typically pounds down torrentialy and then clears up.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

We usually travel the last week of October and in early November, you will only be a week or two behind us...I would not hesitate to extend our trips into November if we could. Yes, we've had rain, but it usually clears up and the weather is glorious. If it were me, I'd go for early November. Weather can be hit or miss on any vacation, and IMO, the best part of traveling in the Cote d'Azur in the fall is that the crowds are gone and you can enjoy the spots that are overrun with tourists at other times of the year. Some services, events and openings may be a bit scaled back (for instance, no boat trips to St. Tropez!), but not so as to keep you from having a wonderful trip. Scenic views are always open.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

I agree with 'Troggs' exactly - early November in Nice. Or, go to Rio de Janeiro -the best place in the world to be on NYE!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

'tplus' is right too about the annual restaurant rip-off. And some others close down for a long break.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

Funny.....we were actually looking at Rio for NYE since it's supposed to be one of the best. :)

Good to know that we could have somewhat decent weather in early Nov. without alot of tourists. I think we will look into that and see if we can even move it into the last week of Oct. (we always have to abide by those pesky work schedules.)

I really appreciate the info! Thank you!

10. Re: Early November or New Years Eve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 06:15