We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

If you could recommend only 1 thing to someone to do whilst in Nice what would that be? a place to visit, a restaurant or a local delicacy that has to be tried. please leave your comment.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

I would visit the superb Chagall museum.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

A slice of pissaladiere in the old town; a bunch of roses to take back to my hotel/apartment from the flower market in the old town; buy some fresh strawberries, blackberries, raspberries; buy a market basket, made in Morocco; ride a tram; absolutely the Chagall museum, plus the Musee des Beaux-Arts; don't forget your camera

North Wales
Level Contributor
754 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

1. Take the 'petit train de nice' up to the top of Castle Hill, have a picnic and enjoy the views of Nice and the port from the various vantage points.

2. Walk the narrow streets of the old town' enjoy a bite to eat and a glass of good rose, possibly an ice-cream.

3. Walk from Pointe de Rauba-Capeu along Quai des Etats-Unis and along part of the Promenade des Anglais - surveying all around you.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

Take the 400 bus to Vence and visit the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence (designed by Matisse).

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

Socca. It's not necessarily the finest cuisine, but very "Nice" and you will find it everywhere.

...maybe, with a glass of Provence Rose (or two!)...

For something to do, take the 15 bus to the Matisse Museum and walk, following the bus route, to the Chagall Museum. It's downhill, so it's not strenuous, and you will walk through a lovely residential neighborhood and past the palace that was built for Queen Victoria.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 16:56
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

Ditto to Riotstar's suggestion about the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence (aka: the Matisse Chapel). The 400 bus will take you directly to Vence, but you will have to walk to the chapel. It's not that difficult and if this appeals, come back for the "how to's." Stop in St. Paul de Vence on your way back to Nice (or vice versa), and the same 400 bus will stop at the post office in St. Paul.

The chapel is stunning in its simplicity and one of the most memorable places I've visited. Be sure to catch a tour offered by the nun, and after visiting the chapel, visit the Matisse Museum in Nice. You will notice some of the works Matisse used in designing the chapel, and visiting the museum will be more memorable. Don't miss the Roman ruins outside the museum in Nice.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

Before heading out to the Matisse chapel, call to be sure it's open! It took us four tries before we were there on a day when the chapel wasn't closed for a religious holiday.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

I would rate the Matisse Museum among the 10 least interesting things I have seen in my life. Even my wife, who is an artist, thought that it was pretty dull.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

Bob, I understand what you are saying, but after visiting the chapel and hearing the story from the nun, the museum was much more interesting. I thought the setting was quite nice, especially with the ruins nearby.

10. Re: Arriving tomorrow. one suggestion not to be missed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:16