We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Paul De Vence and Vence France

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
St Paul De Vence and Vence France

As I am visiting Nice for a week on the 29th August I wish to visit St Paul de Vence,but I am confused with the other Vence are they the same place,are they near enough to visit both in one day and how do get there from Nice. Many Thanks

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St Paul De Vence and Vence France

Bus 400 goes to both. Schedules on the Lignes d'Azur site.

Ed

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Paul De Vence and Vence France

They are two villages that are next to each other. Close enough to hike between them and yes you can do both on the same day.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Paul De Vence and Vence France

The ride between the two takes about 10 minutes. Beautiful scenery. Easy to visit both in a day. I've done that day-out twice recently.

Tip:

Needs precise timing to coordinate which town you'll visit first or second and in which you'll have a sit-down lunch-due to infrequent buses. Otherwise, you can miss a bus because you're having lunch. Waiting for the next one wastes time and is boring. Also, leaving Nice by 8am worked better for us than leaving at 10am.

The two towns are very different. St Paul de Vence is very touristy with lots of art shops and 'villagey'. It's contained within walls. Vence is walled too but has lots of things to see, do and eat both inside and outside its walls. I preferred Vence because it's a pretty and bustling town with lots going on.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Paul De Vence and Vence France

I live in Vence and from my place I can walk to St. Paul indeed. But: I would advise against it when its "old town St. Paul - old town Vence". Take the bus.

Chilworth, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Paul De Vence and Vence France

the main reason to visit St.Paul is the art gallery Fondation Maeght.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Paul De Vence and Vence France

Yes, but the place is very nice when the tourists are gone.

"Ligne 400 travellers" will never know...

:)

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Paul De Vence and Vence France

tplus is right about needing a car to go the Maeght - especially if you're also visiting both towns.

Coming from Nice, the #400 bus stop called “Fondation” is closest to the “Fondation Maeght". This stop is the one just before its stop at St Paul de Vence. It's a 20-minute uphill walk from the 'Fondation stop' to reach the Maeght. Coming from Nice, it would make sense to get off at the ‘Fondation’ stop, do the art first and then walk to and visit SPDV. Rather than the other way around.

The reason for this is that buses are infrequent and the walk from SPDV itself is a 40 minute, all-uphill one on a different road going to the Maeght. This road goes a considerable way north of the Maeght and then has to circle south again to come back down to the Maeght. It’s not a picturesque walk. It’s wooded on both sides. There’s nothing to see as you walk except cars. (In the time we spent walking to/fro the Maeght we passed only 2 other people walking. Going there by car is the norm.)

I definitely don’t advise fitting the Maeght into a ‘SPDV and Vence day out” if you’re relying on buses. Because you won’t be driving, the Maeght consumes an awful lot of time - one hour minimum walking both ways to/from it; plus the time to buy tickets, about an hour at most to see the art plus your lunch time in SPDV (if you eat lunch there rather than in Vence); and also the time you'll then need to wait in SPDV for the #400 again to go to Vence. I found 2 hours in Vence not enough. Two hours there doesn’t include lunch.

The last bus from Vence to Nice is around 8pm which is smack in the middle of French dinner hours. So no dinner in Vence and to still get dinner in Nice, it’s advisable to take an earlier bus to Nice from Vence to ensure that you won't be going to bed hungry that night.

Complicating the scheduling for this ‘3 places’ day’ are the facts of having to fit in lunch during the French lunch period (12-3pm); and the fact that one #400 bus during that lunch period is missing from the bus schedule on purpose! I think this is because this bus is mainly intended for residents along this route. The lunch hour in France is sacred. People must stop working and eat.

We regret having gone to and seen the Maeght. It charges 15 euro/pp entry fee, is very small and has very second-rate modern art and sculpture. Miro did far better and more sculptures than the few the “Maeght” has. (Back in 1972 when the small forerunner of the Maeght was actually in SPDV and free, it was an intimate place and showed his best work in delightful ways. And there were restaurants within a minute’s walk. The current “Maeght” is all about commerce. The heart is gone. There’s no sense of presence there, not even in the staff - robotic.

Cutting out going there because you’re relying on buses and walking saves about 2.5 hours and all the tricky scheduling, unknowns and time conflicts you have to nonetheless coordinate with buses, lunch and walking. Our 30 euro museum entry fees (+ 5 euro/pp if you want to take photos or even have a camera with you!) would have paid for one of our lunches (before drinks) on the terrace (in summer) of “La Colombe d'Or" - a restaurant near the entrance into SPDV. It has oils and works on paper by Matisse, Picasso, Miro, Braque, Dali and Man Ray. (Artists and writers visited the owners during the first half of the 20th century.) A meal booking would be needed.

Choose 2 of these places, not all 3 on this route. Either way, you’ll be waiting for and catching 3 buses. The second time we did this trip visiting just the 2 towns was great. We saw a lot more and had plenty of time to linger over lunch and take photos.

8. Re: St Paul De Vence and Vence France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:16