We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive or not?

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
drive or not?

i am travelling to frejus in early june with 2 small children and my husband. We are flying into Nice and wnat to know if we should hire a car to get there. We will be based on a campsite so i reckon we will need the car but it is the drive from Nice is very worrying as neither of us have drove abroad before.If anyone has a good directions very straight forward it would be great or i need help????????

West Sussex
Level Contributor
242 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive or not?

Believe me, you won't have a problem, and the roads are pretty good in that area. To make it even easier it might be worth getting an automatic - Hertz and Avis both have them. You will most certainly need a car to get the most out of your holiday. For directions from anywhere to anywhere go to www.viamichelin.co.uk It's free.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive or not?

Getting to Frejus from the Nice airport is very simple, and only about an hour's drive. You can take the autoroute almost all the way, and you can get on it immediately you leave the airport. The viamichelin site should give you a number of alternative routes. You might want to drive along the coast for example - slower, but more interesting.

Depending on where your campsite is located, and what you are planning to do, you might be able to walk and/or use public transport for most things. Either way I don't think you'll have a problem - and I know you'll love the Frejus area.

Bonne route!

Nice, France
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive or not?

Are you afraid of the distance or because you 'll have to drive on the right side(not the wrong side,lol) ?

for sure the best way is the highway.

Cork
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: drive or not?

Hi ernetuk, i just saw your post from last year. i've a similar dilema. i'm travelling to LaBaume in Frejus for 3 weeks in June and am wondering if a car is needed. our flight arrives at 8pm on a wed. do you know if puplic buses run from the airport at that time? we too have 2 small children and grandparents. please advise.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive or not?

I think people forget how difficult it is to adjust to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and with the gear lever on the wrong side. It is many years since I first drove in France but I remember thinking that my brain was going to explode, as my subconscious kept telling me that what I was doing was very stupid.

If you were staying near Nice I would advise against renting a car but around Frejus I don't think you have much option. It is no fun driving out of Nice airport but it is very close to the autoroute (motorway) that will take you most of the way to Frejus. As you leave the airport just look for signs to the A8, making sure that you head west towards Cannes and Marseilles, not east towards Monaco and Genova. I would advise using the autoroute as you don't have to worry about traffic lights, roundabouts, etc for your first drive. You will need to pay on this kind of road and it is a good idea to have a supply of coins and small notes before you leave the airport.

I would advise against renting an automatic unless you are used to driving one in the UK.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive or not?

Fl1006, Oh dear, Most of the abouve advice has been directed at people who travelled last year! I don't think you have a hope of getting a bus to Frejus at that time of the evening. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong) There are quite a few reasonably priced hotels close to the airport, so your choice is to stay in one of these and travel the next day or set off by car. In fact, if you decide to rent a car, late evening is a good time to travel as the roads will be mcuh quieter at that time.