We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nottingham
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Has anyone ever had lunch at La Colombe d'or?Was the food good? I'd love to know anything as I'm planning to book in later this year.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

I have had lunch there once a year as a special treat for the last 3 years and it has never disappointed. The food is very good and not terribly expensive although the bill can mount up a bit if you have several courses, wine, aperitifs etc. It is the ambiance of the terrace that makes it so special. The staff are very friendly and helpful too.

We stay in Nice and get the bus up to St Paul, visit the Fondation Maeght, have lunch at La Colombe, wander around the village in a happy haze, then back to Nice.

It is an idea to book now, even for much later on, you will be asked to confirm a couple of days before the meal. If you are there in the summer, reserve a table outside but don't forget to have a quick look around inside to see all the original artwork, Matisse etc.

Some starters are suitable for 2 sharing - the hors d'oevres or the basket of salad/veg 'terrine et crudites' with anchovy dressing are both great - although the hors d'oevres gets my vote - about 14 assorted dishes. For the main course, I've had the beef and the lamb, both excellent. Puddings, not that bothered, quite expensive homemade ice-cream etc, the cheese board looks more exciting although I've never had room by this stage.

We stopped ordering aperitifs after our first visit and now ask for a bottle of rose wine straight away plus carafes of water throughout the meal (carafes are free tap water, absolutely fine). We found that the cost of pre-dinner drinks like Kirs and bottled water racked up the cost too much. Hving said that, for your first visit, I should go for it all.

Prices (approx): the hors d'oevres are 25 euros (easily do 2), snails are 18 euros, melon and parma ham is 19 euros

the beef for 2 people is 55 euros and the lamb is 25 euros per person, rabbit stew- a speciality of the restaurant, cooked in its own blood is 17 euros, ice-cream is 9 euros, coffees are 3,50 euros. Very respectable house wine about 16 euros a bottle.

Your posting has reminded me to get my lunch reservation in for the summer!

La Colombe d'or is also a hotel - it might be worth considering spending the night there.

hope you have a wonderful time.

best wishes, Lisa

www.allaboutNice.com

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

How, where, etc. do you get a bus from Nice to St. Paul de Vence? And about how often do they run?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Hi Spirit

The bus from Nice to St Paul de Vence is the 400 (and NOT the 410 which goes directly to Vence from Nice, missing out St Paul)

There are several stops in Nice to catch the 400. It starts from the Gare Routiere or main Bus Station on Jean Jaures. In the summer it is best to get the bus from here to ensure you have a seat for the 40 minutes or so journey.

There are several buses a day. For times check out the TAM website (it is a bit complicated but works with practise) For St Paul, get off at the Moulin restaurant. This is very close to La Colombe and just outside the walled village of St Paul. A 5-10 minute walk up the hill by the Moulin takes you to the Fondation Maeght modern art gallery and museum. When you get off the bus, cross over to the stop on the other side to check out the timetable for return times back to Nice.

TAM website:

http://www.cg06.fr/tam-html/

best wishes, Lisa

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Thanks so much for the good information, Lisa!

Spirit

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Thanks allaboutnice!

My questions:

Is there similar bus service to Grasse?..and

Do the "parfumeries" welcome visitors? I'll risk another...how long a drive to Aix.

Thank you!

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Am bumping up this post, hoping for an update, please, but not wanting to bother you to provide all that fantastic information again if things haven't changed.

Am planning to do exactly as advised - Fondation Maeght in the morning, Colombe D'Or for lunch, wander around St Paul in the afternoon.

Do you know how late one can make a reservation for lunch at Colombe D'Or, please?

Any other advice gratefully received.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

The latest time I ever reserved for lunch was 1pm. That time worked fine, we have eaten there at 12pm and 12:30pm other times and noticed plenty of tables filling up later. Also, once, we were running late so I phoned and warned them and they were fine but appreciated being alerted - so take your mobile with you with the number saved just in case, they like to to confirm a day or two in advance anyway so it's a good idea to have the number handy. If you have a time you want lunch, then no harm asking, I'm sure they will do their best to fit you in at a time that suits you.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Just noticed how old this post is - there's no more 410 bus anymore, just the 400 which is the one you'll need anyway, it's probably cheaper now, just 1,30 euros, possibly even just one euro, not sussed out the new pricing yet for 2008.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for that, and lucky for me that you spotted the out-of-date bus info. The thread was in the main section - I wasn't quite sad enough to read through 3 years of forum posting!

Just thought we'd eat late so we don't have to rush the Fondation but certainly don't want to rush lunch, so will aim for 1pm.

You give wonderful advice and I really enjoy your postings.

Will be back for more info soon, please.

Cheers

Elaine

UK
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St-Paul-de-Vence,La Colombe d'or

Try not to miss it dekigtful situation exquisite

foodfow what you get it is not dear

Good luck Regmaiche