We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

We'll be staying in Nice and after reading some posts I thought we'd walk over to Cap Ferrat after spending the morning in Villefranche.

According to the informatin I'm finding, it seems to be about a 4 mile walk - correct? Also, it seems that as you walk from Villefranche towards Cap Ferrat, the town that you want to see is actually on the eastern side of the peninsula - correct? If so, how do you get there? It looks like a major road (?) runs right down the middle.

Then, once we've wandered around Cap Ferrat - we need to get back to Nice. The bus schedules seem to show that we'd need to take two buses, etc.

Could we take a cab to Villefranche and then the train?

easiest way to do this??

tks

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

When walking from Villefranche to St Jean Cap Ferrat, continue walking until you reach the eastern side, where the Royal Riviera Hotel is. There's a public footpath here that takes you all the way into St Jean. To get back to Nice, it's one bus, the number 81, that takes you from St Jean back to the port and on to Nice Riquier station.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

The 81 goes from st jean port to the bus station in Nice

I think you are probably thinking of the 84-[riquier to baie des fourmis [beaulieu]

or the 80- port de la santes in villefrance=- riquier]

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

No, I read Routiere as Riquier. It was a very late night last night.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

Thank you very much for your help.

Am I correct in that it is a 4-mile walk from Villefranche to Cap Ferrat?

And I am guessing the bus would take about an hour?

thanks again

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Level Contributor
421 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

my recomendation would be hope on the train direction monaco get off a beaulieu sur mer - head tward the water make a right - along the waters edge the just in front of the Royal riviera make a left - as stated that is a nice path into town.

The path system from Villefranche just isn't that nice....

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Level Contributor
421 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

bus would be about 10-15 min - very easy...

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

It is a lovely walk from Villefranche to St Jean Cap Ferrat. In fact, the base of the peninsula called Cap Ferrat is at the eastern end of Villefranche beach and close to the train station. From the end of the beach climb the steps and walk straight ahead, with the railway to the left and the gates of sumptuous villas to the right, one of which, Nellcote, used to be owned by the Rolling Stones (until the mayor asked them to leave). At the traffic lights cross the road and go straight on down the hill until you arrive at the Hotel Royal Riviera. Turn right here and walk along the beautiful sea side path to St Jean, passing a villa which was owned by Charlie Chaplin and then David Niven. Recently, there was the added interest of a multi million pound super yacht aground on the rocks after dragging its anchor in heavy seas. I have never measured it but from the end of the beach to St Jean is closer than two miles than four.

There are many paths on the cap and a superb walk right around it beside the sea. There is no need ever to walk on the main road. As others have said, bus 81 from St Jean runs regularly to Nice bus station.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

Sorry, should read 'closer to two miles than four'. My wife and I have done this walk several hundred times without getting bored!

9. Re: Villefranche/Cap Ferrat/Nice - how best to do this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat