We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

Which Sainte-Maxime hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shropshire
Level Contributor
524 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

Hello,

I know I'll be in wine country (and I'll be having plenty I'm sure): but I am a Craft/Real Ale drinker: is there a bar that will satisfy my needs around St-Maxime?

I know the supermarkets will have a selection of bottled products but would like to try some regional brews if possible and not just the national and international brews available all over France.

Thanks.

<*))))))><

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

Wikipedia has a decent list of some of the beers brewed in the various regions of France:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…A9es_en_France

I don't know if there are any bars/cafés/pubs in Sainte-Maxime that will serve the local beer. The tourist office website lists some of the bars/cafés in town:

translate.google.ca/translate…

Shropshire
Level Contributor
524 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

I've used this site: http://www.biere-france.com/ I also checked here: …pagesperso-orange.fr/brasseries/brasseries_…

Trouble is, there is very little information about the St-Maxime area.

Thank you for your help though.

<*))))))><

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

Hi

You'll find plenty of local rosés and white+red wines around Ste Maxime, but very few local beers. In fact, I don't know of *any* local brewery.

Northern France is where more of the brewing takes place. If you're going to buy bottled beer, try 3 Monts by the brasserie St Sylvestre. Locals tend to order beers like Kronenbourg (ordered as "une Kro"), Leffe (belgian) the Pelforth brune so you tend to find these at many restaurants & bar but little else. Not often served in bars but available in stores, the trappist beer produced by the brewery of Chimay is also much appreciated.

Having said this, you'll find a string of seaside promenade (Ave Charles de Gaulle) restaurants and brasseries as well as on the pedestrian streets inside (Rue Courbet). Le Wafou is probably my favorite, right opposite the port on Ave Ch. De Gaulle, but there's also Café de France on front and Café Maxime further down the street. You can definitely sip a drink and relax at Le Wafou anytime, but I don't think their beer selection is impressive.

I've actually been thinking for a long time that a nice, quality brewery is long overdue in the region. Any brewing entrepreneurs out there? Frog & Rosbif, interested in setting up around here?

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,712 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

>>>a nice, quality brewery is long overdue in the region. Any brewing entrepreneurs out there? <<<

The problem may ,of course, be that Northern ingredients for beer like barley, hops etc are just upgrowable or too expensive . Just look at the jaw-droppable prices for exotic items (for here) like cabbages or brussels sprouts .... Grapes are cheap

Ed

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

As far as I know,water is an important thing,in the process of making good beer.Isn't it?

You'd better stop in Ardèche sometime, they have it all.Wine, beer and famous mineral waters.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Santé...Cheers.

http://www.vin-ardeche.com/biere.html

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

Surely, if they can brew in Bordeaux, they can brew in Provence/Côte d'Azur...

A quick search reveals a number of micro-breweries in Provence: La Grihète in the Drôme (http://www.la-grihete.com/), the Brasserie du Luberon (http://www.brasserie-luberon.com/) and a handful more.

Nothing obvious in Sainte-Maxime though.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
524 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

Thanks guys: I'll trawl the bars and shops, something interesting often turns up in the most unlikely places. I found a small bar on the island of Ithaca that stocked a host of Belgian bottled stuff, you just never know what's around until you explore a bit.

<*))))))><

8. Re: Diverse beers in St-Maxime and surrounding area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Sainte-Maxime