We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail to St. Paul de Vence

Which St-Paul-de-Vence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rail to St. Paul de Vence

Hi,

Please would someone tell me if there is a railway station at St. Paul de Vence? If not, is Nice the closest station, and how would I get to St. Paul de Vence from Nice?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Linda,

Melbourne, Australia

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

The closest train station to St. Paul de Vence is Cagnes Sur Mer. From there you take the 400 bus to St. Paul. This is the same bus that comes from Nice, but I think taking the train to Cagnes Sur Mer will be faster than picking up the bus in Nice.

When you come out of the Cagnes Sur Mer station, walk to your right through a small covered parking area. Once on the sidewalk, go up a small hill and over the bridge. You'll see a park on your right and the bus stop is across the street.

Your wait will depend upon how your train and bus schedules link. I have waited as long as 45 minutes and as short as ten. Be patient...St. Paul is worth it!

You can also take the same train to visit Eze, another mountaintop village. Get off the train at the Eze de Bord station. When you come out of the station, go up a hill and the bus stop is on the same side of the street as the station. I can't remember the bus number...visit the Eze forum and I'm sure it has been discussed there.

Have a wonderful trip!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

As suggested, you might just as well take the 400 bus all the way from Nice. By the time you have queued for rail tickets and waited for the train then again for the bus its more sensible to do it in just the one leg by bus

For Eze Village, same story - take the 82 or 112 direct to Eze Village from Nice Gare Routiere. The bus from Eze Bord de Mer - the 83 - is notoriously infrequent. With both these buses its immportant to check the timetable as there are big gaps - an hour or more - at some times of the day.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

I agree with NiceLife. There's no point in getting the train and then transferring to bus if you're starting from Nice. I've travelled up to Vence on the 400 (further than St Paul de Vence) many times, and if you get on in Nice, you're pretty much guaranteed a seat. The bus can get unbearably busy from St Laurent du Var onwards. It's also cheaper to just get the bus than to combine bus and train.

Same with Eze. Even if you want to walk up to the village from the sea, you might as well get the 100 bus rather than the train. It's more regular and cheaper.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

To: Troggs, NiceLife & MonacoCabbie...

Thank you all so very much for the fantastic information you have all provided me. It has given me enough facts and "food for thought" for my upcoming trip. We intend to travel independently through most of Europe, mostly by rail, but any other suggestions such as some of yours are most appreciated and welcomed. We don't like visiting too many cities, preferring historic and/or scenic villages and seeing how the "locals" live. Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Linda,

Melbourne, Australia

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

(blush)

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
365 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

The 200 bus goes to St Paul de vence as well.

We took bus 400 from Cagnes sur mer to St Paul de Vence and returned to Nice by bus 200.

If you tell the driver in advance he will drop you off at the meaght foundation stop on the way up. (Still a steep walk from here) Does not stop there otherwise.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

Thanks to you as well Mashet. This information is a great help. Thanks again.

Linda.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

The Maeght stop is actually (bizarrely) a longer walk to the Fondation than the St Paul stop, which is the next one.

The bus fare is one euro, by the way, which is incredible.

I believe that the timetable at the bus stop in St Paul is actually the time the bus leaves Vence, so it arrives in St Paul 10-20 minutes later than the advertised time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

a small matter but the 200 doesn't go any where near St Paul - its goes coastal all the way to Cannes -

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rail to St. Paul de Vence

Another mountaintop village you may want to visit is Eze. If you're coming from Nice, take the bus; from another location, take a train to Eze de Bord. There is a bus stop at the top of the hill outside the station where you can catch the bus to the village.

For both the St. Paul and Eze destinations, the buses you take from the closer rail stations originate in Nice. I'm terrible at remembering the bus numbers (which is which!), but their destinations are posted on the bus marquee. Perhaps someone else can help.

Get answers to your questions about St-Paul-de-Vence